Free medical abortions for pregnant women with Zika offered by Women on Web.
For immediate release 1-2-2016:
The Zika epidemic, which is transmitted by mosquitoes and may cause birth defects in pregnant women is spreading rapidly in South America where abortion is legally restricted. According to the WHO a causal relationship between Zika virus infection and birth defects and neurological syndromes has not been established, but is strongly suspected. The WHO declared a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC) on 1 February 2016T and wrote: "As these clusters (of microcephaly) have occurred in areas newly infected with Zika virus, and in keeping with good public health practice and the absence of another explanation for these clusters, the Committee highlights the importance of aggressive measures to reduce infection with Zika virus, particularly among pregnant women and women of childbearing age."
Therefore Women on Web (www.womenonweb.org) will offer free medical abortions to pregnant women with Zika. Women can do the online consultation and when they send the laboratory result indication the Zika infection, packages containing medical abortion pills will be sent for free.
Women on Web (www.womenonweb.org) is an online abortion service. Women who are less than 10 weeks pregnant can do an online consultation, which is reviewed by doctors and packages that contain medical abortion pills are sent in case the woman is eligible for the medical abortion. Research by the WHO has shown that a home medical abortion is very safe and effective. (see http://srhr.org/safeabortion/
Map of affected countries at this moment:
Additional information for some of the affected countries:
- Colombia, Bolivia, Chile, Ecuador, Guadeloupe, Paraguay, Venezuela, Argentina, Surinam, Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador, Panama, Haiti, Dominican Republic: shipment of the medical abortion can take up to 1-5 weeks depending on shipping method for the country so it is important that women contact Women on Web as early as possible when they are aware of their Zika infection.
- Barbados: abortion is available http://www.womenonwaves.org/en/page/4589/barbados-clinics
- Brazil: Unfortunately the Brazilian government stops all packages that contain medical abortions. Women on Web calls upon the Brazilian government and Anvisa to suspend the interception of packages with medical abortions at least for the duration of the Zika epidemic.
- Mexico: women can access safe abortion services in Mexico City. http://www.womenonwaves.org/th/page/4926/mexico-clinics-and-associations
- English Guyana: http://www.womenonwaves.org/th/page/4948/guyana-clinics-and-associations
- French Guyana: Abortion is available in the public health system.
- Sint Maarten: abortion is available http://www.womenonwaves.org/en/page/5553/sint-maarten-clinics-and-organisations
- Other Caribbean Islands: abortion is available in Curacao and Aruba http://www.womenonwaves.org/en/page/5144/curacao-clinics-and-organisations and http://www.womenonwaves.org/en/page/4903/aruba--organizations-and-clinics
For more information: