Yasal | Abortion Pills | Local Organizations | Scam List
Abortion Laws and Policies
Abortion is permitted on request up to 12 weeks of pregnancy. It is permitted up to 6 months of pregnancy in cases of fetal impairment, if the pregnancy endangers the woman or person’s health or life, if the conception occurs before the age of 18 or after the age of 40; in case of contraceptive failure; if the there is a reasonable suspicion that the woman became pregnant as a result of a crime or by health indications including physical and mental health conditions. It is also permitted in case of incest up to 12 weeks.
Minors are required to obtain parental or adult consent for an abortion.
Abortion seekers are required to go through mandatory counseling prior to abortion.
There is a mandatory waiting period of 48 hours in place before the abortion can be done, from the point when the doctor sends a notification to the National Health Information Center confirming that he/she provided mandated information to the woman.
Only abortions in case of medical reasons is covered by the public health insurance.
Abortion providers and any people assisting may be criminalized for an abortion outside of the legal conditions specified in the law.
Medical practitioners and providers have the right to refuse abortion services based on personal beliefs. So-called conscientious objection cannot be practiced if the life of the woman or pregnant person is at risk.
Claim your rights
Access to abortion is a fundamental human right and a basic healthcare need. If you live in a country with restrictions to abortion access, you can visit Women on Web to request abortion pills or learn more about the local support and resources available in your country.
About Abortion Pills
An abortion with pills is a safe and effective way to end a pregnancy at home. There are two ways to have an abortion with pills:
- Have an abortion with a pill called Mifepristone and another pill called Misoprostol;
- Have an abortion with the pill Misoprostol only.
You already have abortion pills? Find instructions, information around dosage, safety precautions and tips here.
Mifepristone is not officially registered by the country’s pharmaceutical authority.
Misoprostol is registered
It is registered for gynecological indications (such as birth, miscarriage treatment or abortion care etc.)
A doctor's prescription may be required to get Misoprostol.
Misoprostol can be bought in Yes
These are brand names under which Mifepristone, Misoprostol or Combi Packs (that contain both abortion pills Mifepristone and Misoprostol) are officially distributed and/or commonly found in the country.
Mispregnol 400 mcg (Nordic Pharma)
Angusta 25 mcg
There are pills that contain a combination of Misoprostol and the painkiller Diclofenac. While manufactured for a different purpose they can still be used for abortion. Specific instructions need to be followed to avoid overdosing the Diclofenac.
Local Organizations and Resources
No local organizations.
Watch out for fake abortion clinics and sellers online. See or contribute to our list of scams & stay safe!
Other Databases and Sources
These are the sources and databases used to gather the information listed on this country profile.
- 08.08.2022/Medical Abortion Commodities Database: https://www.medab.org/advanced-search-multiple-results?country=514&commodity=all&brand=all#multiple-search-result
- 28.12.2022/WHO, Global Abortion Policies Database: https://abortion-policies.srhr.org/country/slovakia/
- 23.08.2022/European Abortion Policies Atlas: https://europe.ippf.org/resource/european-abortion-policies-atlas
- 23.08.2022/National Medicine Authority: https://www.sukl.sk/hlavna-stranka-1/english-version?page_id=256
- 28.12.2022/Reproductive Rights Map: https://reproductiverights.org/maps/worlds-abortion-laws/?country=SVK
- 28.12.2022/Global Map of Norms regarding Conscientious Objection: https://www.redaas.org.ar/conscientious-objection-m
Abortion law Slovakia
Abortion is legal on request in the first 12 weeks of the pregnancy.
Slovakia clinics and associations
For more information on where to obtain an abortion in Slovakia click here