Yasal | Abortion Pills | Local Organizations | Scam List
Abortion Laws and Policies
Abortion on request is not authorized. It is permitted up to 22 weeks if the pregnancy endangers the woman or person’s physical or mental health or their life.
Minors under the age of 18 are required to obtain parental or adult consent for an abortion.
There is a mandatory waiting period of 48 hours after the first counseling by the health care professional before the abortion can be done.
Penal law criminalizes women and pregnant people for having an abortion outside of the legal conditions specified in the law. Abortion providers and any people assisting may be criminalized for an abortion outside of the legal conditions specified in the law..
Despite abortion being permitted, abortion pills are not registered and an abortion with pills might not be available.
Claim your rights
Access to abortion is a fundamental human right and a basic healthcare need. If you live in a country with restrictions to abortion access, you can visit Women on Web to request abortion pills or learn more about the local support and resources available in your country.
About Abortion Pills
An abortion with pills is a safe and effective way to end a pregnancy at home. There are two ways to have an abortion with pills:
- Have an abortion with a pill called Mifepristone and another pill called Misoprostol;
- Have an abortion with the pill Misoprostol only.
You already have abortion pills? Find instructions, information around dosage, safety precautions and tips here.
Mifepristone is not officially registered by the country’s pharmaceutical authority.
Misoprostol is not registered
There are pills that contain a combination of Misoprostol and the painkiller Diclofenac. While manufactured for a different purpose they can still be used for abortion. Specific instructions need to be followed to avoid overdosing the Diclofenac.
This is the estimated cost of abortion pills in your country. Please reach out if your experience has been different from the information available here.
Cost of Abortion Pills
- "A pill of Misoprostol costs between 4-5 Malaysian ringgits per 200 mg. In order to induce the abortion, a woman will need about 12 pills, which will amount to 48-60 Malaysian ringgits or 12.32-15.39 US dollars."
Local Organizations and Resources
No local organizations.
Watch out for fake abortion clinics and sellers online. See or contribute to our list of scams & stay safe!
Other Databases and Sources
These are the sources and databases used to gather the information listed on this country profile.
- 16.12.2022/WHO, Global Abortion Policies Database: https://abortion-policies.srhr.org/country/malaysia/
- 11.09.2022/National Medicine Authority: https://npra.gov.my/index.php/en/
- 11.09.2022/National Medicine list: https://www.npra.gov.my/index.php/en/informationen/new-products-indication/new-products-approved-quest3.html
- 16.12.2022/Reproductive Rights Map: https://reproductiverights.org/maps/worlds-abortion-laws/?country=MYS
- 16.12.2022/ Map of Norms regarding Conscientious Objection: https://www.redaas.org.ar/conscientious-objection-map
Abortion law Malaysia
Abortion is only permitted to preserve the health of the woman, both physical…
Malaysia clinics and associations
RRAAM (Reproductive Rights Advocacy Alliance Malaysia)
Updates on Courtcase against Nepalese woman who had abortion in Malaysia
Retrial of Nepalese woman who was convicted for obtaining a legal abortion…