Yasal | Abortion Pills | Local Organizations | Scam List
Abortion Laws and Policies
Abortion is permitted if the pregnancy endangers the woman or person's life.
Abortion is covered by insurance for women and pregnant people needing financial support.
Penal law criminalizes women and pregnant people for doing an abortion outside of the legal conditions specified in the law. Abortion providers and any people assisting may be criminalized for an abortion outside of the legal conditions specified in the law.
Claim your rights
Access to abortion is a fundamental human right and a basic healthcare need. If you live in a country with restrictions to abortion access, you can visit Women on Web to request abortion pills or learn more about the local support and resources available in your country.
About Abortion Pills
An abortion with pills is a safe and effective way to end a pregnancy at home. There are two ways to have an abortion with pills:
- Have an abortion with a pill called Mifepristone and another pill called Misoprostol;
- Have an abortion with the pill Misoprostol only.
You already have abortion pills? Find instructions, information around dosage, safety precautions and tips here.
Mifepristone is officially registered by the country’s pharmaceutical authority.
There is currently no data available on whether or not a prescription is needed to get Mifepristone.
There is no data on regulations around the distribution of Mifepristone available.
Misoprostol is registered
It is registered for gynecological indications (such as birth, miscarriage treatment or abortion care etc.)
There is currently no data available on whether or not a prescription is needed to get Misoprostol.
There is no data on regulations around the distribution of Misoprostol available.
These are brand names under which Mifepristone, Misoprostol or Combi Packs (that contain both abortion pills Mifepristone and Misoprostol) are officially distributed and/or commonly found in the country.
Misoclear; 200 mcg; Acme Formulations (Pvt) Ltd, India
Cytotec; 200 mcg; Pfizer Ltd
There are pills that contain a combination of Misoprostol and the painkiller Diclofenac. While manufactured for a different purpose they can still be used for abortion. Specific instructions need to be followed to avoid overdosing the Diclofenac.
Local Organizations and Resources
No local organizations.
Watch out for fake abortion clinics and sellers online. See or contribute to our list of scams & stay safe!
Other Databases and Sources
These are the sources and databases used to gather the information listed on this country profile.
- 13.12.2022/WHO, Global Abortion Policies Database: https://abortion-policies.srhr.org/country/malawi-december-2017/
- 27.10.2022: Medical Abortion Commodities Database: https://medab.org/search?field_brand_name_target_id=All&field_country_of_sale_target_id=165
- 27.10.2022/ howtouseabortionpill: https://www.howtouseabortionpill.org/abortion-laws-by-country/malawi/
- Gynuity Map Mifepristone: https://gynuity.org/resources/list-of-mifepristone-approvals
- 27.10.2022/National Medicine Authority: https://pmra.mw/
- National Medicine Databank: -
- 13.12.2022/Reproductive Rights Map: https://reproductiverights.org/maps/worlds-abortion-laws/?country=MWI
- 13.12.2022/Map of Norms regarding Conscientious Objection: https://www.redaas.org.ar/conscientious-objection-map
Abortion law Malawi
Abortion is only permitted to save the life of the woman.
Malawi clinics and associations
Post Abortion Care The Ministry of Health has in place provision of post