Yasal | Abortion Pills | Local Organizations | Scam List
Abortion Laws and Policies
Abortion on request is not authorized.
It is permitted up to 22 weeks of pregnancy in cases of rape.
Minors under the age of 18 are required to obtain adult consent for an abortion.
Penal law criminalizes women and pregnant people for having an abortion outside of the conditions specified in the law. Abortion providers and people who assists may be criminalized for an abortion outside of the conditions specified in the law.
Medical practitioners and providers have the right to refuse abortion services based on personal beliefs.
However, medical practitioners and providers are obligated to refer individuals to another provider if they refuse service.
Claim your rights
Access to abortion is a fundamental human right and a basic healthcare need. If you live in a country with restrictions to abortion access, you can visit Women on Web to request abortion pills or learn more about the local support and resources available in your country.
About Abortion Pills
An abortion with pills is a safe and effective way to end a pregnancy at home. There are two ways to have an abortion with pills:
- Have an abortion with a pill called Mifepristone and another pill called Misoprostol;
- Have an abortion with the pill Misoprostol only.
You already have abortion pills? Find instructions, information around dosage, safety precautions and tips here.
Mifepristone is not officially registered by the country’s pharmaceutical authority.
Misoprostol is registered
It is registered for gynecological indications (such as birth, miscarriage treatment or abortion care etc.)
These are brand names under which Mifepristone, Misoprostol or Combi Packs (that contain both abortion pills Mifepristone and Misoprostol) are officially distributed and/or commonly found in the country.
Prostokos, Hebron Laboratories, 25, 100 y 200 µg - For vaginal use in maternity hospitals
Cytotec (illegal market)
There are pills that contain a combination of Misoprostol and the painkiller Diclofenac. While manufactured for a different purpose they can still be used for abortion. Specific instructions need to be followed to avoid overdosing the Diclofenac.
This is the estimated cost of abortion pills in your country. Please reach out if your experience has been different from the information available here.
Cost of Abortion Pills
- R$100,00, R$120,00, or even R$150,00 per pill (illegal market, too expensive for many)
Local Organizations and Resources
No local organizations.
Watch out for fake abortion clinics and sellers online. See or contribute to our list of scams & stay safe!
Other Databases and Sources
These are the sources and databases used to gather the information listed on this country profile.
- 02.12.2022/WHO, Global Abortion Policies Database: https://abortion-policies.srhr.org/country/brazil/
- 24.08.2022/safe2choose: https://safe2choose.org/abortion-information/countries/brazil
- National Medicine Authority:
- National Medicine Authority; Mifepristone:
- National medicine authority; Misoprostol:
- 21.11.2022/ National Sanitary Surveillance Agency: https://www.gov.br/anvisa/pt-br, dependent of the Ministry of Health: https://www.gov.br/saude/pt-br
- 02.12.2022/Global Map of Norms regarding Conscientious Objection: https://www.redaas.org.ar/conscientious-objection-map
- 02.12.2022/Reproductive Rights Map: https://reproductiverights.org/maps/worlds-abortion-laws/?country=BRA
"A, de Aborto"- Guia Prático para Falar sobre Aborto no Brasil.
Este guia é uma iniciativa conjunta das organizações Women on Web e Women on…
"Sei que faço a coisa certa", diz diretora de ONG que envia abortivos pelo correio para o Brasil
A organização Women on Web dá orientações online sobre aborto caseiro a…
Misoprostol in Brazil
Near the end of 1991, the Government of Brazil took steps to end the use of…
Brazil: Options for Abortion and Women's Organizations
Abortion is illegal except in case of rape and to save the women's life.
Brazil: Abortion Law
Brazilian law only permits abortion in cases of rape and danger to the woman’s…