Yasal | Abortion Pills | Local Organizations | Scam List
Abortion Laws and Policies
Abortion on request is not authorized.
It is permitted for Economic or social reasons and in in cases of rape, incest, fetal impairment or if the pregnancy endangers the woman or person's life or their mental or physical health. No limitation regarding the lengths of pregnancy is mentioned in the legal text.
Minors are required to obtain parental or adult consent for an abortion.
Abortion providers and people who assists may be criminalized if they perform an abortion outside of the conditions specified in the law.
Claim your rights
Access to abortion is a fundamental human right and a basic healthcare need. If you live in a country with restrictions to abortion access, you can visit Women on Web to request abortion pills or learn more about the local support and resources available in your country.
About Abortion Pills
An abortion with pills is a safe and effective way to end a pregnancy at home. There are two ways to have an abortion with pills:
- Have an abortion with a pill called Mifepristone and another pill called Misoprostol;
- Have an abortion with the pill Misoprostol only.
You already have abortion pills? Find instructions, information around dosage, safety precautions and tips here.
Mifepristone is officially registered by the country’s pharmaceutical authority.
There is currently no data available on whether or not a prescription is needed to get Mifepristone.
There is no data on regulations around the distribution of Mifepristone available.
Misoprostol is registered
It is registered for gynecological indications (such as birth, miscarriage treatment or abortion care etc.)
There is currently no data available on whether or not a prescription is needed to get Misoprostol.
There is no data on regulations around the distribution of Misoprostol available.
These are brand names under which Mifepristone, Misoprostol or Combi Packs (that contain both abortion pills Mifepristone and Misoprostol) are officially distributed and/or commonly found in the country.
Avertiso, 200 mcg (Acme Formulations (Pvt) Ltd, India)
Artotec 50 or 75, 200 mcg **contains Diclofenac (PFIZER AFRIQUE DE L' OUEST)
Mifeso, 1 Mifepristone 200 mg, 4 Misoprostol 200 mcg (Acme Formulations (Pvt) Ltd, India) (appears in national register)
registration status unknown:
Mifepack, 1 Mifepristone 200 mg, 4 Misoprostol 200 mcg (Naari Pharma Pvt Ltd)
Miso-Fem, 200 mcg, (Naari Pharma Pvt Ltd)
Ace Miso, 200 mcg, (Acme Formulations (Pvt) Ltd, India)
Cytotec, 200 mcg (Pfizer Ltd)
There are pills that contain a combination of Misoprostol and the painkiller Diclofenac. While manufactured for a different purpose they can still be used for abortion. Specific instructions need to be followed to avoid overdosing the Diclofenac.
Local Organizations and Resources
No local organizations.
Watch out for fake abortion clinics and sellers online. See or contribute to our list of scams & stay safe!
Other Databases and Sources
These are the sources and databases used to gather the information listed on this country profile.
- 10.12.2022/WHO, Global Abortion Policies Database: https://abortion-policies.srhr.org/country/benin/
- 30.09.2022/Medical Abortion Commodities Database: https://medab.org/search?field_brand_name_target_id=All&field_country_of_sale_target_id=171
- 30.09.2022/safe2choose: https://safe2choose.org/abortion-information/countries/benin
- 30.09.2022/howtouseabortionpill: https://www.howtouseabortionpill.org/abortion-laws-by-country/benin/
- 30.09.2022/Gynuity Map Mifepristone: https://gynuity.org/assets/resources/biblio_ref_lst_mife_en.pdf
- 30.09.2022/National Medicine Authority: https://sante.gouv.bj/
- 30.09.2022/National Medicine Databank: https://www.abrp.bj/medicamentsautorises.php
- 10.12.2022/Reproductive Rights Map: https://reproductiverights.org/maps/worlds-abortion-laws/?country=BEN
- 10.12.2022/Global Map of Norms regarding Conscientious Objection: https://www.redaas.org.ar/conscientious-objection-map
Benin: Organizations and Options for Abortion
Abortion is permitted in most circumstances since 20 October 2021.
Benin: Abortion Law
Abortion Law On 20 October 2021 the new amendment (Article 17) to the SRH 2003…