Abortion Laws and Policies
Get abortion pills | Claim your rights
Access to abortion is a fundamental human right and a basic healthcare. If you live in a country where access to abortion is restricted, you can get abortion pills through Women on Web.
Abortion is permitted up to 24 weeks of pregnancy in case of fetal impairment or if the pregnancy endangers the woman or person’s health or life. It is also permitted in case of distress, which leaves the woman no other choice. For this case, no limitation regarding the lengths of pregnancy is mentioned in the legal text.
Minors under the age of 16 are required to obtain parental or adult consent for an abortion.
Abortion seekers are required to go through mandatory counseling prior to abortion.
There is a mandatory waiting period of 5 days from the point of first consultation with the doctor before the abortion can be done.
Abortion is free of charge.
Abortion providers may be criminalized for an abortion outside of the legal conditions specified in the law.
Medical practitioners and providers have the right to refuse abortion services based on personal beliefs.
About Abortion Pills
An abortion with pills is a safe and effective way to end a pregnancy at home. There are two ways to have an abortion with pills:
- Have an abortion with a pill called Mifepristone and another pill called Misoprostol;
- Have an abortion with the pill Misoprostol only.
You already have abortion pills? Find instructions, information around dosage, safety precautions and tips here or contact the Women on Web Help Desk Team to guide you through the process at firstname.lastname@example.org
Mifepristone is officially registered by the country’s pharmaceutical authority.
A doctor's prescription may be required to get Mifepristone.
Mifepristone is distributed in pharmacies.
Misoprostol is officially registered by the country’s pharmaceutical authority.
It is registered for gynecological indications (such as birth, miscarriage treatment or abortion care etc.)
A doctor's prescription may be required to get Misoprostol.
Misoprostol is distributed in pharmacies.
These are brand names under which Mifepristone, Misoprostol or Combi Packs (that contain both abortion pills Mifepristone and Misoprostol) are officially distributed and/or commonly found in the country.
Arthrotec 50 or 75*, 200 mcg, *contains Diclofenac!
Diclofenacnatrium/Misoprostol 50 mg/200mcg, 200mcg, *contains Diclofenac
Sunmedabon, 1xMifepristone 200mg, 4xMisoprostol 200mcg
Safety notice: There are pills that contain a combination of Misoprostol and the painkiller Diclofenac. While manufactured for a different purpose they can still be used for abortion. Please find more info in our FAQ to avoid overdosing the Diclofenac.
Cost of Abortion Pills
These are comments about the estimated cost of abortion pills in your country.
- "free of charge for citizens, otherwise €477,28 in all Dutch abortion clinics (price of a medical abortion 2023, abortion rates are set by the governement)"
- Abortuskliniek Amsterdam & Bloemenhovekliniek - November 2022
The actual costs of abortion pills are often difficult to determine, vary and change over time. Fill out our questionnaire to add and share your experience.
Organizations and Resources
- Women on Web
Abortion pill access by mail
- Abortion Network Amsterdam
Group of volunteers who came together to create a network of support for women and pregnant people who don’t have access to safe abortion.
The work involves helping to set up appointments, choosing the appropriate abortion clinic in the Netherlands, making sure people have all the documents they need, helping with transportation, providing people traveling to The Netherlands with housing, translation aid and accompanying people to their appointment if requested.
- Abortion Support Network
Helps people who need to access safe abortions. Provide information on clinics, travel and accommodation, and provide financial assistance to help with costs for those who need it. For women and pregnant people resident in Ireland, Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man, Malta, Gibraltar, Poland, Romania, Hungary, France, Spain, the Czech Republic and the other EU countries on a case-by-case basis. They are currently helping people impacted by the war in Ukraine.
- Dokters van de Wereld
For undocumented migrants in the Netherlands in need of medical care. Dokters van de Wereld can assist in finding medical help. Their consultations are free of charge and confidential. As a neutral (non-governmental) organization they do not pass any personal information to others except for other health care providers if necessary. If a migrant doesn’t have money to pay for the costs or has been refused by a doctor we can help and advise to access health care.
- Abortion without borders
They provide information, support and funding to people in Poland who need abortions, in Poland with abortion pills or abroad.
+ 48 22 29 22 597
Dutch association of abortion doctors
Mission of NGvA is to guarantee safe and professional abortion care, now and in the future. On the website you will find current information about abortion care, practical information about the abortion clinics and useful links where you can go for questions and advice.
For specific questions, you can send a message.
- List of Dutch abortion clinics
- Abortuskliniek Amsterdam
Abortion clinic in Amsterdam, treatments up to 18 weeks
+31 20 693 21 51
Abortion clinic in Heemstede (Haarlem region), treatments up to 22 weeks
+31 23 528 98 90
Watch out for fake abortion clinics and sellers online. See or contribute to our list of scams & stay safe!
Join this project
This collection of data is an ongoing and collaborative project that relies on your contributions and corrections to thrive. Did you have an abortion? Did you get scammed looking for abortion pills? Do you know a friendly feminist organization which can help? Are you an abortion activist, doctor or part of an organization? Please share and fill out our questionnaire or contact us here.
Other Databases and Sources
These are the sources and databases used to gather the information listed on this country profile.
- 09.08.2022/Medical Abortion Commodities Database: https://www.medab.org/advanced-search-multiple-results?country=475&commodity=all&brand=all#multiple-search-result
- 09.08.2022/National Medicine Authority; Mifepristone: https://www.geneesmiddeleninformatiebank.nl/ords/f?p=111:2::SEARCH::RP,2:P0_DOMAIN,P0_LANG,P2_QS,P2_AS_PROD,P2_AS_RVGNR,P2_AS_EU1,P2_AS_EU2,P2_AS_ACTSUB,P2_AS_INACTSUB,P2_AS_NOTINACT,P2_AS_ADDM,P2_AS_ARMM,P2_AS_APPDATE,P2_AS_APPDATS,P2_AS_ATC,P2_AS_PHARM,P2_AS_MAH,P2_AS_ROUTE,P2_AS_AUTHS,P2_AS_TGTSP,P2_AS_INDIC,P2_AS_TXTF,P2_AS_TXTI,P2_AS_TXTC,P2_RESPAGE,P2_SORT,P2_RESPPG,P2_OPTIONS:H,EN,%5C%5C,%5C%5C,%5C%5C,%5C%5C,%5C%5C,%5Cmifepriston%5C,%5C%5C,N,N,N,,,%5C%5C,%5C%5C,%5C%5C,%5C%5C,%5C%5C,%5C%5C,%5C%5C,%5C%5C,%5C%5C,%5C%5C,1,PRODA,10,N
- 09.08.2022/National Medicine Authority; Misprostol:https://www.geneesmiddeleninformatiebank.nl/ords/f?p=111:2::SEARCH::RP,2:P0_DOMAIN,P0_LANG,P2_QS,P2_AS_PROD,P2_AS_RVGNR,P2_AS_EU1,P2_AS_EU2,P2_AS_ACTSUB,P2_AS_INACTSUB,P2_AS_NOTINACT,P2_AS_ADDM,P2_AS_ARMM,P2_AS_APPDATE,P2_AS_APPDATS,P2_AS_ATC,P2_AS_PHARM,P2_AS_MAH,P2_AS_ROUTE,P2_AS_AUTHS,P2_AS_TGTSP,P2_AS_INDIC,P2_AS_TXTF,P2_AS_TXTI,P2_AS_TXTC,P2_RESPAGE,P2_SORT,P2_RESPPG,P2_OPTIONS:H,EN,%5Cmisoprostol%5C,%5C%5C,%5C%5C,%5C%5C,%5C%5C,%5C%5C,%5C%5C,N,N,N,,,%5C%5C,%5C%5C,%5C%5C,%5C%5C,%5C%5C,%5C%5C,%5C%5C,%5C%5C,%5C%5C,%5C%5C,1,PRODA,10,N
- 27.12.2022/WHO, Global Abortion Policies Database: https://abortion-policies.srhr.org/country/netherlands/
- 23.08.2022/European Abortion Policies Atlas: https://europe.ippf.org/resource/european-abortion-policies-atlas
- 27.12.2022/Reproductive Rights Map: https://reproductiverights.org/maps/worlds-abortion-laws/?country=NLD
- 27.12.2022/Global Map of Norms regarding Conscientious Objection: https://www.redaas.org.ar/conscientious-objection-m
If you think the information displayed on this page is not correct or is outdated, please send us your updates and corrections!
We appreciate your collaboration.