Legal | Abortion Pills | Local Organizations | Scam List
Abortion Laws and Policies
Abortion on request is not authorized. It is permitted up to 22 weeks in case of rape or incest. It is also permitted in case of fetal impairment or if the pregnancy endangers the woman or person's mental or physical health or their life. For these cases no limitation regarding the lengths of pregnancy is mentioned in the legal text.
Minors under the age of 18 are required to obtain parental or adult consent for an abortion.
Penal law criminalizes women and pregnant people for doing an abortion outside of the legal conditions specified in the law. Abortion providers and any people assisting may be criminalized for an abortion outside of the legal conditions specified in the law.
Claim your rights
Access to abortion is a fundamental human right and a basic healthcare need. If you live in a country with restrictions to abortion access, you can visit Women on Web to request abortion pills or learn more about the local support and resources available in your country.
About Abortion Pills
An abortion with pills is a safe and effective way to end a pregnancy at home. There are two ways to have an abortion with pills:
- Have an abortion with a pill called Mifepristone and another pill called Misoprostol;
- Have an abortion with the pill Misoprostol only.
You already have abortion pills? Find instructions, information around dosage, safety precautions and tips here.
Mifepristone is officially registered by the country’s pharmaceutical authority.
There is currently no data available on whether or not a prescription is needed to get Mifepristone.
There is no data on regulations around the distribution of Mifepristone available.
Misoprostol is registered
It is registered for gynecological indications (such as birth, miscarriage treatment or abortion care etc.)
A doctor's prescription may be required to get Misoprostol.
Misoprostol can be bought in pharmacy distribution
These are brand names under which Mifepristone, Misoprostol or Combi Packs (that contain both abortion pills Mifepristone and Misoprostol) are officially distributed and/or commonly found in the country.
Cytotec; 200 mcg; Pfizer
CYNOMAX; 200 mcg; MAXTAR BIO-GENICS
C-STOL 200; 200 mcg; CORONA REMEDIES Pvt Ltd
MISOPROST-200; 200 mcg; CIPLA LTD
There are pills that contain a combination of Misoprostol and the painkiller Diclofenac. While manufactured for a different purpose they can still be used for abortion. Specific instructions need to be followed to avoid overdosing the Diclofenac.
Local Organizations and Resources
No local organizations.
Watch out for fake abortion clinics and sellers online. See or contribute to our list of scams & stay safe!
Other Databases and Sources
These are the sources and databases used to gather the information listed on this country profile.
- 14.12.2022/WHO, Global Abortion Policies Database: https://abortion-policies.srhr.org/country/rwanda/
- 01.11.2022/Medical Abortion Commodities Database: https://medab.org/search?field_brand_name_target_id=All&field_country_of_sale_target_id=190
- 01.11.2022/National Medicine Authority: https://www.rwandafda.gov.rw/home
- 01.11.2022/National Medicine Databank: https://www.rwandafda.gov.rw/fileadmin/user_upload/RwandaFDA/Publications/Human_Medicine_and_Devices_Assessment_and_Registration/Regulated_Products/eRWANDA_FDA_AUTHORIZED_HUMAN_MEDICINAL_PRODUCT_LIST-DECEMBER-2021.pdf
- 01.11.2022/gynuity Mifepristone approvals: https://gynuity.org/resources/list-of-mifepristone-approvals
- 14.12.2022/Reproductive Rights Map: https://reproductiverights.org/maps/worlds-abortion-laws/?country=RWA
- 14.12.2022/Map of Norms regarding Conscientious Objection: https://www.redaas.org.ar/conscientious-objection-map