Ivory Coast (Cote D'Ivoire)
Legal | Abortion Pills | Local Organizations | Scam List
Abortion Laws and Policies
Abortion on request is not authorized.
It is permitted in case of fetal impairment, rape, incest, sexual assault or if the pregnancy endangers the woman or person's life or their physical or mental health. No limitation regarding the lengths of pregnancy is mentioned in the legal text.
Minors are required to obtain parental or adult consent for an abortion.
Penal law criminalizes women and pregnant people for doing an abortion outside of the legal conditions specified in the law. Abortion providers and any people assisting may be criminalized for an abortion outside of the legal conditions specified in the law..
Medical practitioners and providers have the right to refuse abortion services based on personal beliefs. However, they are obligated to refer individuals to another provider if they refuse service.
Claim your rights
Access to abortion is a fundamental human right and a basic healthcare need. If you live in a country with restrictions to abortion access, you can visit Women on Web to request abortion pills or learn more about the local support and resources available in your country.
About Abortion Pills
An abortion with pills is a safe and effective way to end a pregnancy at home. There are two ways to have an abortion with pills:
- Have an abortion with a pill called Mifepristone and another pill called Misoprostol;
- Have an abortion with the pill Misoprostol only.
You already have abortion pills? Find instructions, information around dosage, safety precautions and tips here.
Mifepristone is officially registered by the country’s pharmaceutical authority.
There is currently no data available on whether or not a prescription is needed to get Mifepristone.
There is no data on regulations around the distribution of Mifepristone available.
Misoprostol is registered
There is no data available on whether Misoprostol is registered for gynecological indications (such as birth, miscarriage treatment or abortion care etc. ), or if it is registered for other purposes only (such as arthritis or gastric ulcers etc. )..
There is currently no data available on whether or not a prescription is needed to get Misoprostol.
There is no data on regulations around the distribution of Misoprostol available.
These are brand names under which Mifepristone, Misoprostol or Combi Packs (that contain both abortion pills Mifepristone and Misoprostol) are officially distributed and/or commonly found in the country.
Mifegyne; registration status unknown
Miso-Fem; 200 mcg; Naari Pharma Pvt Ltd
Misofar; 25 or 200 mcg; BIAL-PORTELA & C.,S.A.
Cytotec; 200 mcg; Pfizer
Avertiso; 200 mcg; PSI
Artotec 50 or 75; 200 mcg; Pfizer **contains Diclofenac
There are pills that contain a combination of Misoprostol and the painkiller Diclofenac. While manufactured for a different purpose they can still be used for abortion. Specific instructions need to be followed to avoid overdosing the Diclofenac.
This is the estimated cost of abortion pills in your country. Please reach out if your experience has been different from the information available here.
Cost of Abortion Pills
- The box of 4 Misofem pills can cost between 1,010 F CFA and 2,000 F CFA..
Local Organizations and Resources
No local organizations.
Watch out for fake abortion clinics and sellers online. See or contribute to our list of scams & stay safe!
Other Databases and Sources
These are the sources and databases used to gather the information listed on this country profile.
- 11.12.2022/WHO, Global Abortion Policies Database: https://abortion-policies.srhr.org/country/cote-divoire/
- 02.10.2022/Medical Abortion Commodities Database: https://medab.org/search?field_brand_name_target_id=All&field_country_of_sale_target_id=173
- 02.10.2022/ safe2choose: https://safe2choose.org/abortion-information/countries/ivory-coast
- howtouseabortionpill: https://www.howtouseabortionpill.org/abortion-laws-by-country/cote_d_ivoire/
- 02.10.2022/ Gynuity Map Misoprostol: https://gynuity.org/assets/resources/mapmiso__en_2021-10-29-145231.pdf
- 02.10.2022/Gynuity list Mifepristone: https://gynuity.org/assets/resources/biblio_ref_lst_mife_en.pdf
- 02.10.2022/National Medicine Authority: https://www.airp.ci/fr/liste-document-public-medicament
- 02.10.2022/National Medicine Databank: https://med.airpci.net/WD230AWP/WD230Awp.exe/CONNECT/LIste_des_Produits_de_Sante
- 11.12.2022/Reproductive Rights Map:https://reproductiverights.org/maps/worlds-abortion-laws/?country=CIV
- 11.12.2022/Global Map of Norms regarding Conscientious Objection: https://www.redaas.org.ar/conscientious-objection-map
Abortion Law Cote d'Ivoire
Abortion is illegal in Cote d'Ivoire unless there is a serious risk to the…