Legal | Abortion Pills | Local Organizations | Scam List
Abortion Laws and Policies
Abortion is permitted on request up to 10 weeks of pregnancy. Abortion is also permitted in cases of: rape, incest, fetal impairment or if the pregnancy endangers the woman or person’s health or life. For these cases no limitation regarding the lengths of pregnancy is mentioned in the legal text.
Minors under the age of 16 are required to obtain parental or adult consent for an abortion. A special commission is required for unmarried minors 16 years and older “if the abortion may cause serious consequences or the gestational age is more than 10 weeks” to make a decision and inform the parents. Abortion is covered by insurance for women and pregnant people needing financial support. Abortion providers and any persons assisting may be criminalized for an abortion outside of the legal conditions specified in the law.
Medical practitioners and providers have the right to refuse abortion services based on personal beliefs. However, medical practitioners and providers are obligated to inform their employer or supervisor about their decision, must inform the patient in a timely manner and refer individuals to another provider if they refuse service. So-called conscientious objection cannot be practiced if the life or health of the woman or pregnant person is at risk.
Claim your rights
Access to abortion is a fundamental human right and a basic healthcare need. If you live in a country with restrictions to abortion access, you can visit Women on Web to request abortion pills or learn more about the local support and resources available in your country.
About Abortion Pills
An abortion with pills is a safe and effective way to end a pregnancy at home. There are two ways to have an abortion with pills:
- Have an abortion with a pill called Mifepristone and another pill called Misoprostol;
- Have an abortion with the pill Misoprostol only.
You already have abortion pills? Find instructions, information around dosage, safety precautions and tips here.
Mifepristone is officially registered by the country’s pharmaceutical authority.
A doctor's prescription may be required to get Mifepristone.
Mifepristone can be bought in health care facility only
Misoprostol is registered
It is registered for gynecological indications (such as birth, miscarriage treatment or abortion care etc.)
A doctor's prescription may be required to get Misoprostol.
Misoprostol can be bought in Pharmacy distribution
These are brand names under which Mifepristone, Misoprostol or Combi Packs (that contain both abortion pills Mifepristone and Misoprostol) are officially distributed and/or commonly found in the country.
Mispregnol 400 mcg (Nordic Pharma)
Arthrotec 75 (200 mcg) **contains Diclofenac
Angusta 25 mcg
There are pills that contain a combination of Misoprostol and the painkiller Diclofenac. While manufactured for a different purpose they can still be used for abortion. Specific instructions need to be followed to avoid overdosing the Diclofenac.
Local Organizations and Resources
No local organizations.
Watch out for fake abortion clinics and sellers online. See or contribute to our list of scams & stay safe!
Other Databases and Sources
These are the sources and databases used to gather the information listed on this country profile.
- 08.08.2022/Medical Abortion Commodities Database: https://www.medab.org/advanced-search-multiple-results?country=379&commodity=all&brand=all#multiple-search-result
- 08.08.2022/National Medicine Authority: https://www.halmed.hr/en/Lijekovi/Baza-lijekova/#rezultati
- 09.08.2022/WHO, Global Abortion Policies Database: https://abortion-policies.srhr.org/country/croatia/
- 21.08.2022/European Abortion Policies Atlas: https://europe.ippf.org/resource/european-abortion-policies-atlas
- 07.12.2022/REDAAS conscientious objection map: https://www.redaas.org.ar/conscientious-objection-map
- 07.12.2022/Center for Reproductive Rights. The World’s Abortion Laws: https://reproductiverights.org/maps/worlds-abortion-laws/
Clinics and organisations in Croatia
Abortion services in Croatia
Abortion law Croatia
Abortion is legal in the first 10 weeks of the pregnancy.