Legal | Abortion Pills | Local Organizations | Scam List
Abortion Laws and Policies
Abortion is permitted on request up to 12 weeks of pregnancy. It is permitted up to 20 weeks of pregnancy if the pregnancy endangers the woman or person's life or health (“undeniably proven and documented”) or the viability of the offspring. It is also permitted if the pregnancy is the result of an act of violence proven by the authorities. For this case no limitation regarding the lengths of pregnancy is mentioned in the legal text.
Abortion is covered by public insurance if there is a medical indication for the abortion or in cases of rape. Doctors and abortion providers may be criminalized for providing an abortion outside of the legal conditions specified in the law. Bulgaria is a country that explicitly bans conscientious objection. Medical practitioners and providers do not have the right to refuse abortion services based on personal beliefs.
Claim your rights
Access to abortion is a fundamental human right and a basic healthcare need. If you live in a country with restrictions to abortion access, you can visit Women on Web to request abortion pills or learn more about the local support and resources available in your country.
About Abortion Pills
An abortion with pills is a safe and effective way to end a pregnancy at home. There are two ways to have an abortion with pills:
- Have an abortion with a pill called Mifepristone and another pill called Misoprostol;
- Have an abortion with the pill Misoprostol only.
You already have abortion pills? Find instructions, information around dosage, safety precautions and tips here.
Mifepristone is officially registered by the country’s pharmaceutical authority.
There is currently no data available on whether or not a prescription is needed to get Mifepristone.
There is no data on regulations around the distribution of Mifepristone available.
Misoprostol is registered
There is no data available on whether Misoprostol is registered for gynecological indications (such as birth, miscarriage treatment or abortion care etc. ), or if it is registered for other purposes only (such as arthritis or gastric ulcers etc. )..
There is currently no data available on whether or not a prescription is needed to get Misoprostol.
There is no data on regulations around the distribution of Misoprostol available.
These are brand names under which Mifepristone, Misoprostol or Combi Packs (that contain both abortion pills Mifepristone and Misoprostol) are officially distributed and/or commonly found in the country.
Mifegyne 200mg Exelgyn
Mifepristone Linepharma 200 mg
Topogyne 400 mcg (Nordic Pharma)
Misodel 200 mcg
MisoOne 400 mcg (Nordic Pharma)
Medabon: Mifepristone 200 mg tablet and Misoprostol 4 х 0,2 mg
There are pills that contain a combination of Misoprostol and the painkiller Diclofenac. While manufactured for a different purpose they can still be used for abortion. Specific instructions need to be followed to avoid overdosing the Diclofenac.
Local Organizations and Resources
No local organizations.
Watch out for fake abortion clinics and sellers online. See or contribute to our list of scams & stay safe!
Other Databases and Sources
These are the sources and databases used to gather the information listed on this country profile.
- 08.08.2022/Medical Abortion Commodities Database: : https://www.medab.org/advanced-search-multiple-results?country=359&commodity=all&brand=all#multiple-search-result
- 08.08.2022/National Medicine Authority https://www.bda.bg/images/stories/documents/bdias/drugs2_list2_1.htm
- 09.08.2022/WHO, Global Abortion Policies Database: https://abortion-policies.srhr.org/country/bulgaria/
- 21.08.2022/European Abortion Policies Atlas: https://europe.ippf.org/resource/european-abortion-policies-atlas
- 07.12.2022/REDAAS conscientious objection map: https://www.redaas.org.ar/conscientious-objection-map
- 07.12.2022/Center for Reproductive Rights. The World’s Abortion Laws: https://reproductiverights.org/maps/worlds-abortion-laws/
Bulgarian law on abortion
Find out about the legal status of abortion in Bulgaria here
Abortion clinics and associations in Bulgaria
Abortion is legal in Bulgaria.