Legal | Abortion Pills | Local Organizations | Scam List
Abortion Laws and Policies
Abortion is permitted on request up to 12 weeks. It is also permitted in cases of foetal impairment or if the pregnancy endangers the woman or person’s health. For these cases no limitation regarding the lengths of pregnancy is mentioned in the legal text.
Abortion seekers are required to go through mandatory counseling prior to abortion. There is a mandatory waiting period of 6 days in place before the abortion can be done. The 6 days are counted from the first consultation with the doctor in the facility the abortion will be performed.
Penal law criminalizes women and pregnant people for doing an abortion outside of the legal conditions specified in the law. Also, abortion providers and people assisting may be criminalized for an abortion outside of the legal conditions specified in the law.
Medical practitioners and providers have the right to refuse abortion services based on personal beliefs. However, if a medical practitioner or provider refuses service they are obligated to inform the individual about it from the start. They also need to refer individuals to another provider and forward their medical record to the other physician.
Claim your rights
Access to abortion is a fundamental human right and a basic healthcare need. If you live in a country with restrictions to abortion access, you can visit Women on Web to request abortion pills or learn more about the local support and resources available in your country.
About Abortion Pills
An abortion with pills is a safe and effective way to end a pregnancy at home. There are two ways to have an abortion with pills:
- Have an abortion with a pill called Mifepristone and another pill called Misoprostol;
- Have an abortion with the pill Misoprostol only.
You already have abortion pills? Find instructions, information around dosage, safety precautions and tips here.
Mifepristone is officially registered by the country’s pharmaceutical authority.
A doctor's prescription may be required to get Mifepristone.
Mifepristone is distributed in pharmacies.
Misoprostol is registered
It is registered for gynecological indications (such as birth, miscarriage treatment or abortion care etc.)
There is currently no data available on whether or not a prescription is needed to get Misoprostol.
There is no data on regulations around the distribution of Misoprostol available.
These are brand names under which Mifepristone, Misoprostol or Combi Packs (that contain both abortion pills Mifepristone and Misoprostol) are officially distributed and/or commonly found in the country.
Mifegyne 200mg Exelgyn
Mifepristone Linepharma 200 mg
Cytotec 200mcg Pfizer Ltd
Arthrotec 75 (200 mcg) **contains Diclofenac
Angusta 25 mcg
There are pills that contain a combination of Misoprostol and the painkiller Diclofenac. While manufactured for a different purpose they can still be used for abortion. Specific instructions need to be followed to avoid overdosing the Diclofenac.
Local Organizations and Resources
No local organizations.
Watch out for fake abortion clinics and sellers online. See or contribute to our list of scams & stay safe!
Other Databases and Sources
These are the sources and databases used to gather the information listed on this country profile.
- 08.08.2022/Medical Abortion Commodities Database: https://www.medab.org/advanced-search-multiple-results?country=348&commodity=all&brand=all#multiple-search-result
- 08.08.2022/National medicine authority; Misoprostol: https://medicinesdatabase.be/human-use/medicines?search=%7B%22term%22:%22misoprostol%22%7D
- 18.08.2022/National Medicine Authority; Mifepristone: https://medicinesdatabase.be/human-use/medicines?search=%7B%22term%22:%22mifepriston%22%7D
- 09.08.2022/WHO, Global Abortion Policies Database: https://abortion-policies.srhr.org/country/belgium/
- 20.08.2022/European Abortion Policies Atlas: https://europe.ippf.org/resource/european-abortion-policies-atlas
- 06.12.2022/REDAAS conscientious objection map: https://www.redaas.org.ar/conscientious-objection-map
- 06.12.2022/Center for Reproductive Rights. The World’s Abortion Laws: https://reproductiverights.org/maps/worlds-abortion-laws/
Belgium: Organizations and Clinics
Abortion is legal in Belgium on request till 12 weeks since conception (that…
Belgium: Abortion Law
Abortion is legal in Belgium and available on request at clinics and hospitals.