Legal | Abortion Pills | Local Organizations | Scam List
Abortion Laws and Policies
Abortion is permitted on request up to 12 weeks of pregnancy. It is permitted up to 24 weeks of pregnancy in cases of: Fetal impairment, rape or if the pregnancy endangers the woman or person’s health or life. Abortion is also permitted in cases of incest, intrauterine contraceptive failure or an age below 15 or above 40 years old. For these cases no limitation regarding the lengths of pregnancy is specified.
Minors under the age of 16 are required to obtain parental or adult consent for an abortion. Abortion is covered by public insurance in some cases. Women and persons are required to pay for abortion on request themselves. Women and persons temporarily staying in the Czech Republic need to pay for abortion services (with some exceptions) as well.
Abortion providers and any persons assisting may be criminalized for an abortion outside of the legal conditions specified in the law. Medical practitioners and providers have the right to refuse abortion services based on personal beliefs. However, medical practitioners and providers are obligated to refer individuals (with their consent) to another provider if they refuse service.
Claim your rights
Access to abortion is a fundamental human right and a basic healthcare need. If you live in a country with restrictions to abortion access, you can visit Women on Web to request abortion pills or learn more about the local support and resources available in your country.
About Abortion Pills
An abortion with pills is a safe and effective way to end a pregnancy at home. There are two ways to have an abortion with pills:
- Have an abortion with a pill called Mifepristone and another pill called Misoprostol;
- Have an abortion with the pill Misoprostol only.
You already have abortion pills? Find instructions, information around dosage, safety precautions and tips here.
Mifepristone is officially registered by the country’s pharmaceutical authority.
A doctor's prescription may be required to get Mifepristone.
Mifepristone can be bought in pharmacy distribution
Misoprostol is registered
It is registered for gynecological indications (such as birth, miscarriage treatment or abortion care etc.)
A doctor's prescription may be required to get Misoprostol.
Misoprostol can be bought in Yes
These are brand names under which Mifepristone, Misoprostol or Combi Packs (that contain both abortion pills Mifepristone and Misoprostol) are officially distributed and/or commonly found in the country.
Mifegyne 200mg Exelgyn
Mispregnol 400 mcg (Nordic Pharma)
Angusta 25 mcg
There are pills that contain a combination of Misoprostol and the painkiller Diclofenac. While manufactured for a different purpose they can still be used for abortion. Specific instructions need to be followed to avoid overdosing the Diclofenac.
Local Organizations and Resources
No local organizations.
Watch out for fake abortion clinics and sellers online. See or contribute to our list of scams & stay safe!
Other Databases and Sources
These are the sources and databases used to gather the information listed on this country profile.
- 08.08.2022/ Medical Abortion Commodities Database: https://www.medab.org/advanced-search-multiple-results?country=382&commodity=all&brand=all#multiple-search-result
- 08.08.2022/National Medicine Authority; Mifepristone: https://www.sukl.eu/modules/medication/search.php?data%5Bsearch_for%5D=&data%5Bcode%5D=&data%5Batc_group%5D=&data%5Bmaterial%5D=mife&data%5Bpath%5D=&data%5Breg%5D=&data%5Bradio%5D=none&data%5Brc%5D=&data%5Bchbox%5D%5B%5D=braill-yes&data%5Bchbox%5D%5B%5D=braill-no&data%5Bchbox%5D%5B%5D=braill-def&data%5Bwith_adv%5D=0&search=Search&data%5Blisting%5D=20
- 08.08.2022/National Medicine Authority; Misoprostol: https://www.sukl.eu/modules/medication/search.php?data%5Bsearch_for%5D=&data%5Bcode%5D=&data%5Batc_group%5D=&data%5Bmaterial%5D=miso&data%5Bpath%5D=&data%5Breg%5D=&data%5Bradio%5D=none&data%5Brc%5D=&data%5Bchbox%5D%5B%5D=braill-yes&data%5Bchbox%5D%5B%5D=braill-no&data%5Bchbox%5D%5B%5D=braill-def&data%5Bwith_adv%5D=0&search=Search&data%5Blisting%5D=20
- 09.08.2022/WHO, Global Abortion Policies Database: https://abortion-policies.srhr.org/country/czech-republic/
- 21.08.2022/European Abortion Policies Atlas: https://europe.ippf.org/resource/european-abortion-policies-atlas
- 08.12.2022/REDAAS conscientious objection map: https://www.redaas.org.ar/conscientious-objection-map
- 08.12.2022/Center for Reproductive Rights. The World’s Abortion Laws: https://reproductiverights.org/maps/worlds-abortion-laws/
Czech republic clinics and associations
Institute for the care of Mother and Child
Czech Republic Law
Abortion is legal in the Czech Republic during the first 12 weeks of the…