Legal | Abortion Pills | Local Organizations | Scam List
Abortion Laws and Policies
Abortion is permitted on request up to 12 weeks. It is permitted up to 22 weeks in cases of: incest, rape, economic and social reasons or if the pregnancy endangers the woman or person’s health or life. It is also permitted in cases of fetal impairment. For this case no limitation regarding the lengths of pregnancy is mentioned in the legal text.
Minors under the age of 16 are required to obtain parental consent for an abortion. Abortion seekers are required to go through mandatory counseling prior to abortion. There is a mandatory waiting period of 7 days in place before the abortion can be done. Abortion providers and people assisting may be criminalized. Medical practitioners and providers have the right to refuse abortion services based on personal beliefs. Despite abortion being permitted, abortion pills are not registered and an abortion with pills might not be available.
Claim your rights
Access to abortion is a fundamental human right and a basic healthcare need. If you live in a country with restrictions to abortion access, you can visit Women on Web to request abortion pills or learn more about the local support and resources available in your country.
About Abortion Pills
An abortion with pills is a safe and effective way to end a pregnancy at home. There are two ways to have an abortion with pills:
- Have an abortion with a pill called Mifepristone and another pill called Misoprostol;
- Have an abortion with the pill Misoprostol only.
You already have abortion pills? Find instructions, information around dosage, safety precautions and tips here.
Mifepristone is not officially registered by the country’s pharmaceutical authority.
Misoprostol is not registered
There are pills that contain a combination of Misoprostol and the painkiller Diclofenac. While manufactured for a different purpose they can still be used for abortion. Specific instructions need to be followed to avoid overdosing the Diclofenac.
Local Organizations and Resources
No local organizations.
Watch out for fake abortion clinics and sellers online. See or contribute to our list of scams & stay safe!
Other Databases and Sources
These are the sources and databases used to gather the information listed on this country profile.
- 20.08.2022/List of medicines: http://www.farmacist33.al/cont/download-center-files/34068/lista-barnave-rimbursuara--x39607allp1.pdf
- 20.08.2022/European Abortion Policies Atlas: https://europe.ippf.org/resource/european-abortion-policies-atlas
- 09.08.2022/WHO, Global Abortion Policies Database: https://abortion-policies.srhr.org/country/albania/
- 05.12.2022/REDAAS conscientious objection map: https://www.redaas.org.ar/conscientious-objection-map
- 05.12.2022/Center for Reproductive Rights. The World’s Abortion Laws: https://reproductiverights.org/maps/worlds-abortion-laws/
Albanian law on abortion
Find out about the legal status of abortion in Albania here
Abortion clinics and associations in Albania
The Family Planning Association of Albania (FPAA) http://acpd.org.al Adresa…