Updated: 2022-11-30 Prawo | Abortion Pills | Local Organizations | Community Comments | Scam List
Abortion Laws and Policies
Get abortion pills | Claim your rights
Access to abortion is a fundamental human right and a basic healthcare. If you live in a country where access to abortion is restricted, you can get abortion pills through Women on Web.
Abortion is permitted up to 22 weeks of pregnancy in cases of rape, incest, or if the pregnancy endangers the woman or person's including mental or physical health, or their life.
Penal law criminalizes women and pregnant people for having an abortion outside of the conditions specified in the law. Abortion providers and people who assists may be criminalized for an abortion outside of the conditions specified in the law.
Medical practitioners and providers have the right to refuse abortion services based on personal beliefs. However, medical practitioners and providers are obligated to refer individuals to another provider if they refuse service.
About Abortion Pills
An abortion with pills is a safe and effective way to end a pregnancy at home. There are two ways to have an abortion with pills:
- Have an abortion with a pill called Mifepristone and another pill called Misoprostol;
- Have an abortion with the pill Misoprostol only.
You already have abortion pills? Find instructions, information around dosage, safety precautions and tips here or contact the Women on Web Help Desk Team to guide you through the process at firstname.lastname@example.org
Mifepristone is officially registered by the country’s pharmaceutical authority.
A doctor's prescription may be required to get Mifepristone.
There is no data on regulations around the distribution of Mifepristone available.
Misoprostol is officially registered by the country’s pharmaceutical authority.
It is registered for gynecological indications (such as birth, miscarriage treatment or abortion care etc.)
A doctor's prescription may be required to get Misoprostol.
Misoprostol is distributed in pharmacies.
These are brand names under which Mifepristone, Misoprostol or Combi Packs (that contain both abortion pills Mifepristone and Misoprostol) are officially distributed and/or commonly found in the country.
Miso-Mife FEM Combo
Safety notice: There are pills that contain a combination of Misoprostol and the painkiller Diclofenac. While manufactured for a different purpose they can still be used for abortion. Please find more info in our FAQ to avoid overdosing the Diclofenac.
Cost of Abortion Pills
These are comments about the estimated cost of abortion pills in your country.
- $ 0.90 to $ 1.94 USD per pill
- "If the treatment includes only the pills (four of Misoprostrol + one of Mifepristone), it has a cost of between 250 and 300 bolivianos (bs), which is equivalent to between 40 and 50 dollars. In the informal market the price can vary, depending on the brand and the context. Generally, each pill is between 80 and 100 bs, that is, between 10 and 15 dollars."
- Misoprostol costs between $3 and $4 per tablet. Mifepristone costs between $35 and $40 per tablet. The combipack is not available in pharmacies, so there is no approximate cost of sale.
- Marie Stopes Bolivia - November 2022
The actual costs of abortion pills are often difficult to determine, vary and change over time. Fill out our questionnaire to add and share your experience.
Organizations and Resources
- Women on Web
Abortion pill access by mail
- Marie Stopes International Bolivia
Sexual and reproductive health, comprehensive sexuality education
- Apoya Sorora
WhatsApp: (+591) 69680209
Information for access to safe abortions, post-abortion support.
Feminist accompaniment group
- La Casa de Las Cholas
Information for access to safe abortions and post-abortion support
Anti-racist and decolonial feminist collective and companions
- Punto Seguro Beni
Whatsapp (+591) 68962477
Information for access to safe abortion, pre and post abortion support, comprehensive sexual education, prevention of sexual violence, access to contraceptive methods.
Network of women in the department of Beni that facilitates access to a safe abortion and accompanying the process by providing reliable information and friendly and safe medical assistance.
- Warmi Yuyainin
Prevention and care of violence against women, information for access to safe abortions, post-abortion and pre-abortion accompaniment as well.
Feminist and accompaniment group
- CIES Salud Sexual y Reproductiva
National NGO providing sexual and reproductive health services.
- Feminist coalition Campaña 28 de septiembre
Information and access to safe abortion. National feminist articulation that fights for the decriminalization of abortion in Bolivia
- Colectivo Rebeldía
Sexual Rights and Reproductive Rights. Feminist NGO that provides information on access to safe abortion
591 3 3368101
- Estoy Contigo
Informative website on the Legal Interruption of Pregnancy in Bolivia and on the WHO recommendations for self-managed abortion issued in 2022
- Infórmate y Decide
Information, advice and access to safe abortion and contraceptive methods
Web page that provides information on legal/voluntary interruption of pregnancy (ILE / IVE) in Latin America and in the world seeking to reduce access barriers: Informative, through the chat available 12 hours a day, from Monday to Saturday (8:00 a.m. to 8:00 pm Colombia time) and Geographic with health professionals distributed throughout the country.
Watch out for fake abortion clinics and sellers online. See or contribute to our list of scams & stay safe!
Join this project
This collection of data is an ongoing and collaborative project that relies on your contributions and corrections to thrive. Did you have an abortion? Did you get scammed looking for abortion pills? Do you know a friendly feminist organization which can help? Are you an abortion activist, doctor or part of an organization? Please share and fill out our questionnaire or contact us here.
Other Databases and Sources
These are the sources and databases used to gather the information listed on this country profile.
- 30.11.2022/WHO, Global Abortion Policies Database: https://abortion-policies.srhr.org/country/bolivia/
- 04.08.2022/ Medical Abortion Commodities Database: https://www.medab.org/advanced-search-multiple-results?country=353&commodity=all&brand=all#multiple-search-result
- 04.08.2022/safe2choose: https://safe2choose.org/abortion-information/countries/bolivia
- 24.08.2022/database of medicines: https://www.medicamentos.bo/
- 28.09.202/howtouseabortionpill: https://www.howtouseabortionpill.org/abortion-laws-by-country/bolivia/
- 21.11.2022/State Agency for Medicines and Health Technologies: https://www.agemed.gob.bo/#autorizacioncomercializacion/contenido, dependent of the Ministry of Health: https://www.minsalud.gob.bo/es/
- 30.11.2022/Global Map of Norms regarding Conscientious Objection: https://www.redaas.org.ar/conscientious-objection-map
- 30.11.2022/Reproductive Rights Map: https://reproductiverights.org/maps/worlds-abortion-laws/?country=BOL
- National List of Essential Medicines (LINAME) https://www.minsalud.gob.bo/contactos/8-institucional/3670-lista-nacional-de-medicamentos-esenciales-liname-2018-2020
- 16.03.2022/Abortion Norms: https://oig.cepal.org/sites/default/files/2009_res_ministerial_0426-bolivia-2009.pdf
If you think the information displayed on this page is not correct or is outdated, please send us your updates and corrections!
You can also send us your updates & corrections in French, Spanish or Arabic.
We appreciate your collaboration.
Bolivia: Organizations and Clinics
Misoprostol is registered as Cytotec and in the south of the country it is…
Bolivia: Abortion Law
Abortion is legal to protect the woman’s health.
Accompaniment networks are the safest and most reliable way to get them. The pills are often offered on the internet but they are of dubious origin and are often false advertisements and scams.
Misoprostol is available in pharmacies by prescription only. It is also available in hospitals but for internal use.
It is also difficult to access, although easier than mifepristone because the drug is more widely available. The fact that it is sold by prescription makes it difficult to access.
Like mifepristone, the safest way to get misoprostol is to do it through accompaniment networks.
Voluntary abortion continues to be penalized. Several of the feminist and accompaniment groups will be able to provide advice, in some cases information and in other cases loving accompaniment.
During and after the pandemic and due to the legal and social criminalization of abortion in Bolivia, pregnant women and people who require or wish to have an abortion are being defrauded with the sale of pills, for this reason it is advisable to resort to a collective or organization feminist.
Marie Stopes Bolivia - November 2022