Legaal | Abortion Pills | Local Organizations | Scam List
Abortion Laws and Policies
Abortion is permitted up to the limit of viability (no exact number of weeks is defined) if the pregnancy endangers the woman or person's life or health, including physical and mental.
Minors under the age of 18 are required to obtain parental or their legal guardian consent for an abortion.
Penal law criminalizes women and pregnant people for doing an abortion outside of the legal conditions specified in the law. Abortion providers and any people assisting may be criminalized for an abortion outside of the legal conditions specified in the law..
Medical practitioners and providers have the right to refuse abortion services based on personal beliefs. However, medical practitioners and providers are obligated to refer individuals to another provider if they refuse service.
Claim your rights
Access to abortion is a fundamental human right and a basic healthcare need. If you live in a country with restrictions to abortion access, you can visit Women on Web to request abortion pills or learn more about the local support and resources available in your country.
About Abortion Pills
An abortion with pills is a safe and effective way to end a pregnancy at home. There are two ways to have an abortion with pills:
- Have an abortion with a pill called Mifepristone and another pill called Misoprostol;
- Have an abortion with the pill Misoprostol only.
You already have abortion pills? Find instructions, information around dosage, safety precautions and tips here.
Mifepristone is officially registered by the country’s pharmaceutical authority.
There is currently no data available on whether or not a prescription is needed to get Mifepristone.
There is no data on regulations around the distribution of Mifepristone available.
Misoprostol is registered
It is registered for gynecological indications (such as birth, miscarriage treatment or abortion care etc.)
There is currently no data available on whether or not a prescription is needed to get Misoprostol.
There is no data on regulations around the distribution of Misoprostol available.
These are brand names under which Mifepristone, Misoprostol or Combi Packs (that contain both abortion pills Mifepristone and Misoprostol) are officially distributed and/or commonly found in the country.
Mifepristone Linepharma 200 mg; 200 mg; Linepharma
Mediprist; 200 mg; Acme Formulations (Pvt) Ltd, India
MIFITON TABLETS; 200 mg; AY PHARMACEUTICALS LTD
Cytotec; 200 mcg; Pfizer Ltd
Misoclear; 200 mcg; Acme Formulations (Pvt) Ltd, India
Miso-Kare; 200 mcg; Naari Pharma Pvt Ltd
Kontrac 200; 200 mcg; SAI PHARMACEUTICALS LTD
Arthrotec; 200 mcg; PFIZER LABORATORIES LTD **contains Diclofenac
NEDPROS TABLETS; 200 mcg; NEDAH PHARMA LIMITED
MISOPROST 200; 200 mcg; PHILLIPS HEALTHCARE SERVICES LTD
Safeguard-SR Tablet; 200 mcg; EUROPA HEALTHCARE LTD; **contains Diclofenac!
Safeguard 50 Tablets; 200 mcg; EUROPA HEALTHCARE LTD; **contains Diclofenac!
vagiprost tabs, 25 mcg; SALAMA PHARMACEUTICALS LTD
CYTOMIS 200; 200 mcg; ADIANCE PHARMACEUTICALS LTD
Isovent 200 Tablet; 200 mcg; ACE PHARMACEUTICALS LTD
Ma-Kare; 1 Mifepristone 200 mg, 4 Misoprostol 200 mcg; Naari Pharma Pvt Ltd
PREGYA KIT TABLETS; mifepristone 200mg and misoprostol 1200mcg; RAY PHARMACEUTICALS LTD
Mariprist; 1 Mifepristone 200 mg, 4 Misoprostol 200 mcg; MARIE STOPES KENYA- KINDARUMA ROAD
Medabon Tablets; 1 Mifepristone 200 mg, 4 Misoprostol 200 mcg; SUN PHARMA EAST AFRICA LTD
I-FREE; 200MG & 200MCG; LORDS HEALTHCARE LTD
MI-MI KIT; 200 mg, 200mcg; PSM PHARMACEUTICALS LTD
There are pills that contain a combination of Misoprostol and the painkiller Diclofenac. While manufactured for a different purpose they can still be used for abortion. Specific instructions need to be followed to avoid overdosing the Diclofenac.
This is the estimated cost of abortion pills in your country. Please reach out if your experience has been different from the information available here.
Cost of Abortion Pills
- Abortion pills in Kenya cost between kes1500 and kes10,000 Shillings. (safe2choose)
- Abortion with pills can cost between Ksh. 3,000 to Ksh. 10,000 (howtouseabortionpill)
Local Organizations and Resources
No local organizations.
Watch out for fake abortion clinics and sellers online. See or contribute to our list of scams & stay safe!
Other Databases and Sources
These are the sources and databases used to gather the information listed on this country profile.
- 13.12.2022/WHO, Global Abortion Policies Database: https://abortion-policies.srhr.org/country/kenya/
- 19.10.2022/Medical Abortion Commodities Database: https://medab.org/search?field_brand_name_target_id=All&field_country_of_sale_target_id=151
- 19.10.2022/safe2choose: https://safe2choose.org/abortion-information/countries/kenya
- 19.10.2022/howtouseabortionpill: https://www.howtouseabortionpill.org/abortion-laws-by-country/kenya/
- National Medicine Authority: https://web.pharmacyboardkenya.org/
- 19.10.2022/National Medicine Databank: https://web.pharmacyboardkenya.org/ectd-products-date-issued/
- 13.12.2022/Reproductive Rights Map: https://reproductiverights.org/maps/worlds-abortion-laws/?country=KEN
- 13.12.2022/Map of Norms regarding Conscientious Objection: https://www.redaas.org.ar/conscientious-objection-map
Kenya: Abortion Law
Abortion is only permitted in cases to preserve the health of the woman.