Legal | Abortion Pills | Local Organizations | Scam List
Abortion Laws and Policies
Abortion on request is not authorized. It is permitted up to 22 weeks in case of fetal impairment, rape, incest, if the pregnancy endangers the woman or person's physical health or life, or if the pregnancy is product of extra-marital sexual intercourse or immoral or indecent acts committed with an intellectually handicapped person. Termination of pregnancy may be permitted for HIV positive women if they choose to do so.
Judicial authorization is required in cases of rape.
Penal law criminalizes women and pregnant people for doing an abortion outside of the legal conditions specified in the law. Abortion providers and any people assisting may be criminalized for an abortion outside of the legal conditions specified in the law.
Medical practitioners and providers have the right to refuse abortion services based on personal beliefs.
Claim your rights
Access to abortion is a fundamental human right and a basic healthcare need. If you live in a country with restrictions to abortion access, you can visit Women on Web to request abortion pills or learn more about the local support and resources available in your country.
About Abortion Pills
An abortion with pills is a safe and effective way to end a pregnancy at home. There are two ways to have an abortion with pills:
- Have an abortion with a pill called Mifepristone and another pill called Misoprostol;
- Have an abortion with the pill Misoprostol only.
You already have abortion pills? Find instructions, information around dosage, safety precautions and tips here.
Mifepristone is officially registered by the country’s pharmaceutical authority.
A doctor's prescription may be required to get Mifepristone.
Mifepristone can be bought in pharmacy distribution
Misoprostol is registered
It is registered for gynecological indications (such as birth, miscarriage treatment or abortion care etc.)
A doctor's prescription may be required to get Misoprostol.
Misoprostol can be bought in pharmacy
These are brand names under which Mifepristone, Misoprostol or Combi Packs (that contain both abortion pills Mifepristone and Misoprostol) are officially distributed and/or commonly found in the country.
Mifepristone Linepharma 200 mg; 200 mg; Linepharma; registration status unknown
AVERTISO; 200 mcg; ACME FORMULATION PVT LTD ROPAR ROAD NALAGARH SOLAN HIMACHAL PRADESH SOLAN INDIA
CELPROTEC; 200 mcg; ACME FORMULATION PVT LTD (HORMONE BLOCK) ROPAR RD SOLANA, HIMACHAL PRADESH NALAGARH INDIA
MISOCLEAR; 200 mcg; ACME FORMULATION PVT LTD ROPAR ROAD NALAGARH SOLAN HIMACHAL PRADESH SOLAN INDIA
MISOPROST-200; 200 mcg; CIPLA LTD
MIFEPRISTONE 200 MG TABLETS; MISOPROSTOL 200 MCG VAGINAL TABLETS; 1 Mifepristone 200 mg, 4 Misoprostol 200 mcg; CHINA RESOURCES ZIZHU PHARMACEUTUCALS CO LTD
MARIPRIST; 1 Mifepristone 200 mg, 4 Misoprostol 200 mcg; ACME FORMULATION PVT LTD
There are pills that contain a combination of Misoprostol and the painkiller Diclofenac. While manufactured for a different purpose they can still be used for abortion. Specific instructions need to be followed to avoid overdosing the Diclofenac.
This is the estimated cost of abortion pills in your country. Please reach out if your experience has been different from the information available here.
Cost of Abortion Pills
- Between $20 USD and $60 USD (safe2choose)
Local Organizations and Resources
No local organizations.
Watch out for fake abortion clinics and sellers online. See or contribute to our list of scams & stay safe!
Other Databases and Sources
These are the sources and databases used to gather the information listed on this country profile.
- 15.12.2022/WHO, Global Abortion Policies Database: https://abortion-policies.srhr.org/country/zimbabwe/
- 08.11.2022/Medical Abortion Commodities Database: https://medab.org/search?field_brand_name_target_id=All&field_country_of_sale_target_id=188
- 08.11.2022/safe2choose: https://safe2choose.org/abortion-information/countries/zimbabwe
- 08.11.2022/howtouseabortionpill: https://www.howtouseabortionpill.org/abortion-laws-by-country/zimbabwe/
- 08.11.2022/National Medicine Authority: https://www.mcaz.co.zw/
- 08.11.2022/National Medicine Databank: https://onlineservices.mcaz.co.zw/onlineregister/frmRegistersHome.aspx
- 15.12.2022/Reproductive Rights Map: https://reproductiverights.org/maps/worlds-abortion-laws/?country=ZWE
- 15.15.2022/Map of Norms regarding Conscientious Objection: https://www.redaas.org.ar/conscientious-objection-map
Zimbabwe clinics and organisations
Population Services Zimbabwe Providing Choices in Reproductive Healthcare
Zimbabwe, abortion law
Abortion is only permitted to save the life of the woman, to preserve physical…