Abortion Laws and Policies
Get abortion pills | Claim your rights
Abortion is permitted up to 12 weeks of pregnancy in cases of: Foetal impairment, social and economic reasons or if the persons life circumstances or circumstances of the conception are the reason for the abortion. It is permitted until viability of the fetus if the pregnancy endangers the woman or person's physical health or mental health. Abortion is also permitted if the pregnancy endangers the woman or person's life. For this case no limitation regarding the lengths of pregnancy is mentioned in the legal text.
Minors under the age of 18 are required to obtain parental or adult consent for an abortion. There is a mandatory waiting period of 7 days in place before the abortion can be done. It is counted from the date of the first visit. Abortion is available free of charge through the public health care system.
Penal law criminalizes women and pregnant people for doing an abortion outside of the legal conditions specified in the law. Also abortion providers and any persons assisting may be criminalized for an abortion outside of the legal conditions specified in the law.
Medical practitioners and providers have the right to refuse abortion services based on personal beliefs, if they declared and reported it to the provincial medical officer and to the medical director of the hospital in advance. So-called conscientious objection cannot be practiced if the life of the woman or pregnant person is at risk.
About Abortion Pills
- Have an abortion with a pill called Mifepristone and another pill called Misoprostol;
- Have an abortion with the pill Misoprostol only.
Mifepristone is officially registered by the country’s pharmaceutical authority.
There is currently no data available on whether or not a prescription is needed to get Mifepristone.
There is no data on regulations around the distribution of Mifepristone available.
Misoprostol is officially registered by the country’s pharmaceutical authority.
It is not registered for gynecological indications (such as birth, miscarriage treatment or abortion care etc.), but is registered for other purposes (such as arthritis or gastric ulcers etc.)
A doctor's prescription may be required to get Misoprostol.
Misoprostol is distributed in pharmacies.
MisoOne, 400 mcg
Cost of Abortion Pills
Organizations and Resources
Join this project
Other Databases and Sources
These are the sources and databases used to gather the information listed on this country profile.
- 08.08.2022/Medical Abortion Commodities Database: https://www.medab.org/advanced-search-multiple-results?country=430&commodity=all&brand=all#multiple-search-result
- 09.08.2022/National Medicine Authority; Misoprostol:https://farmaci.agenziafarmaco.gov.it/bancadatifarmaci/cerca-per-principio-attivo?princ_att=Misoprostolo
- 09.08.2022/National Medicine Authority; Mifepristone: https://farmaci.agenziafarmaco.gov.it/bancadatifarmaci/cerca-per-principio-attivo?princ_att=Mifepristone
- 09.08.2022/WHO, Global Abortion Policies Database:: https://abortion-policies.srhr.org/country/italy/
- 14.12.2022/REDAAS conscientious objection map: https://www.redaas.org.ar/conscientious-objection-map
- 14.12.2022/Center for Reproductive Rights. The World’s Abortion Laws: https://reproductiverights.org/maps/worlds-abortion-laws/
We appreciate your collaboration.