Abortion Laws and Policies
Get abortion pills | Claim your rights
Access to abortion is a fundamental human right and a basic healthcare. If you live in a country where access to abortion is restricted, you can get abortion pills through Women on Web.
Abortion is permitted on request up to 14 weeks. Abortion is permitted in cases of: foetal impairment, is required or if the pregnancy endangers the woman or person’s health. For these cases no limitation regarding the lengths of pregnancy is mentioned in the legal text. A fetal reduction (in a multiple pregnancy) is permitted if the health of the woman or person or of the fetuses/embryos is seriously endangered.
Abortion is available free of charge through public health care system. Abortion providers and any persons assisting may be criminalized for an abortion outside of the legal conditions specified in the law. The law specifies that in no case shall the woman be considered as an accomplice of this act.
Medical practitioners and providers have the right to refuse abortion services based on personal beliefs, but they must inform the woman or person during their first visit.
About Abortion Pills
An abortion with pills is a safe and effective way to end a pregnancy at home. There are two ways to have an abortion with pills:
- Have an abortion with a pill called Mifepristone and another pill called Misoprostol;
- Have an abortion with the pill Misoprostol only.
You already have abortion pills? Find instructions, information around dosage, safety precautions and tips here or contact the Women on Web Help Desk Team to guide you through the process at email@example.com
Mifepristone is officially registered by the country’s pharmaceutical authority.
A doctor's prescription may be required to get Mifepristone.
Mifepristone can be bought in under medical supervision and/or in hospitals
Misoprostol is officially registered by the country’s pharmaceutical authority.
It is registered for gynecological indications (such as birth, miscarriage treatment or abortion care etc.)
A doctor's prescription may be required to get Misoprostol.
Misoprostol is distributed in pharmacies.
These are brand names under which Mifepristone, Misoprostol or Combi Packs (that contain both abortion pills Mifepristone and Misoprostol) are officially distributed and/or commonly found in the country.
Mifegyne 200mg Exelgyn
Miffee 200 mg (Linepharma)
MisoOne 400 mcg (Nordic Pharma)
Gymiso 200 mcg (Linepharma)
MisoOne 400mcg (Exelgyn)
Safety notice: There are pills that contain a combination of Misoprostol and the painkiller Diclofenac. While manufactured for a different purpose they can still be used for abortion. Please find more info in our FAQ to avoid overdosing the Diclofenac.
Cost of Abortion Pills
These are comments about the estimated cost of abortion pills in your country.
- "Around 200 euros consults included for the abortion process but it's free with the country social security service." - Anonymous - November 2022
The actual costs of abortion pills are often difficult to determine, vary and change over time. Fill out our questionnaire to add and share your experience.
Organizations and Resources
- Women on Web
Abortion pill access by mail
- Le service de protection maternelle et infantile (PMI)
Sexual and reproductive health, safe abortion, mental health, domestic violence or rape, free consults for undocumented people.
It's a public service, there are many per departments in France.
- IVG Government
Website that supports access to abortion.
Find healthcare professionals who provide abortion near you.
Watch out for fake abortion clinics and sellers online. See or contribute to our list of scams & stay safe!
Join this project
This collection of data is an ongoing and collaborative project that relies on your contributions and corrections to thrive. Did you have an abortion? Did you get scammed looking for abortion pills? Do you know a friendly feminist organization which can help? Are you an abortion activist, doctor or part of an organization? Please share and fill out our questionnaire or contact us here.
Other Databases and Sources
These are the sources and databases used to gather the information listed on this country profile.
- 08.08.2022/Medical Abortion Commodities Database: https://www.medab.org/advanced-search-multiple-results?country=398&commodity=all&brand=all#multiple-search-result
- 08.08.2022/National Medicine Authority: http://agence-prd.ansm.sante.fr/php/ecodex/index.php#result
- 09.08.2022/WHO, Global Abortion Policies Database: https://abortion-policies.srhr.org/country/france/
- 21.08.2022/European Abortion Policies Atlas: https://europe.ippf.org/resource/european-abortion-policies-atlas
- 08.12.2022/REDAAS conscientious objection map: https://www.redaas.org.ar/conscientious-objection-map
- 08.12.2022/Center for Reproductive Rights. The World’s Abortion Laws: https://reproductiverights.org/maps/worlds-abortion-laws/
If you think the information displayed on this page is not correct or is outdated, please send us your updates and corrections!
We appreciate your collaboration.