Abortion Laws and Policies
Get abortion pills | Claim your rights
Access to abortion is a fundamental human right and a basic healthcare. If you live in a country where access to abortion is restricted, you can get abortion pills through Women on Web.
In Australia, abortion laws and policies vary by jurisdiction. Abortion is legal throughout Australia and across all states, but access may vary. For more information about abortion laws and policies in Australia, you can check: https://www.healthdirect.gov.au/blog/can-i-have-an-abortion-in-australia
Abortion providers may be criminalized for an abortion outside of the legal conditions specified in the law.
Medical practitioners and providers have the right to refuse abortion services based on personal beliefs. However, medical practitioners and providers are obligated to refer individuals to another provider if they refuse service. So-called conscientious objection cannot be practiced if the life of the woman or pregnant person is at risk.
About Abortion Pills
An abortion with pills is a safe and effective way to end a pregnancy at home. There are two ways to have an abortion with pills:
- Have an abortion with a pill called Mifepristone and another pill called Misoprostol;
- Have an abortion with the pill Misoprostol only.
You already have abortion pills? Find instructions, information around dosage, safety precautions and tips here or contact the Women on Web Help Desk Team to guide you through the process at email@example.com
Mifepristone is officially registered by the country’s pharmaceutical authority.
Yes (in most states)
There is no data on regulations around the distribution of Mifepristone available.
There is currently no data available on whether or not Misoprostol is registered by the country’s pharmaceutical authority.
These are brand names under which Mifepristone, Misoprostol or Combi Packs (that contain both abortion pills Mifepristone and Misoprostol) are officially distributed and/or commonly found in the country.
Mifepristone Linepharma, 200mg
MS-2 Step; 1xMifepristone 200mg, 4xMisoprostol 200mcg
Safety notice: There are pills that contain a combination of Misoprostol and the painkiller Diclofenac. While manufactured for a different purpose they can still be used for abortion. Please find more info in our FAQ to avoid overdosing the Diclofenac.
Cost of Abortion Pills
These are comments about the estimated cost of abortion pills in your country.
- "MS2Step = normal script price $42.50 or $6.80 with health care card. If aren’t eligible for Medicare about $300"
- Anonymous - November 2022
The actual costs of abortion pills are often difficult to determine, vary and change over time. Fill out our questionnaire to add and share your experience.
Organizations and Resources
- Women on Web
Abortion pill access by mail
- Pregnancy Choices Helpline
run by Family Planning NSW and NSW Health
Free confidential information on pregnancy options talk with a health professional
1800 008 463 8.00am – 8.00pm Monday to Friday.
To speak to someone in your language, call the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) on 131 450. Ask them to connect you to the Pregnancy Choices Helpline.
To access the Pregnancy Choices Helpline through the National Relay Service:
Call 1300 555 727 for Voice Relay
Call 133 677 for Teletypewriter (TTY)
Text 0423 677 767 for SMS relay
Watch out for fake abortion clinics and sellers online. See or contribute to our list of scams & stay safe!
Join this project
This collection of data is an ongoing and collaborative project that relies on your contributions and corrections to thrive. Did you have an abortion? Did you get scammed looking for abortion pills? Do you know a friendly feminist organization which can help? Are you an abortion activist, doctor or part of an organization? Please share and fill out our questionnaire or contact us here.
Other Databases and Sources
These are the sources and databases used to gather the information listed on this country profile.
- 20.12.2022/WHO, Global Abortion Policies Database: https://abortion-policies.srhr.org/country/australia/
- 09.11.2022/Medical Abortion Commodities Database: https://medab.org/search?field_brand_name_target_id=All&field_country_of_sale_target_id=235
- 09.11.2022/howtouseabortionpill: https://www.howtouseabortionpill.org/abortion-laws-by-country/australia/
- 09.11.2022/National Medicine Authority: https://www.tga.gov.au/
- 09.11.2022/National Medicine Databank: https://www.tga.gov.au/resources/artg
- 20.12.2022/Global Map of Norms regarding Conscientious Objection:
- 20.12.2022/Reproductive Rights Map: https://reproductiverights.org/maps/worlds-abortion-laws/?country=AUS
If you think the information displayed on this page is not correct or is outdated, please send us your updates and corrections!
We appreciate your collaboration.