Abortion Laws and Policies
Get abortion pills | Claim your rights
Access to abortion is a fundamental human right and a basic healthcare. If you live in a country where access to abortion is restricted, you can get abortion pills through Women on Web.
Abortion is permitted on request up to 18 weeks of pregnancy. It is permitted up to the limit of viability if the pregnancy endangers the woman or person’s health or life.
Abortion providers may be criminalized for an abortion outside of the legal conditions specified in the law.
Sweden is a country that explicitly bans conscientious objection. Medical practitioners and providers do not have the right to refuse abortion services based on personal beliefs.
About Abortion Pills
An abortion with pills is a safe and effective way to end a pregnancy at home. There are two ways to have an abortion with pills:
- Have an abortion with a pill called Mifepristone and another pill called Misoprostol;
- Have an abortion with the pill Misoprostol only.
You already have abortion pills? Find instructions, information around dosage, safety precautions and tips here or contact the Women on Web Help Desk Team to guide you through the process at email@example.com
Mifepristone is officially registered by the country’s pharmaceutical authority.
A doctor's prescription may be required to get Mifepristone.
Mifepristone is distributed in healthcare facilities or hospitals.
Misoprostol is officially registered by the country’s pharmaceutical authority.
There is no data available on whether Misoprostol is registered for gynecological indications (such as birth, miscarriage treatment or abortion care etc.), or if it is registered for other purposes only (such as arthritis or gastric ulcers etc.)..
A doctor's prescription may be required to get Misoprostol.
There is no data on regulations around the distribution of Misoprostol available.
These are brand names under which Mifepristone, Misoprostol or Combi Packs (that contain both abortion pills Mifepristone and Misoprostol) are officially distributed and/or commonly found in the country.
Mifepristone Linepharma, 200mg
Arthrotec 50 or 75*, 200 mcg, *contains Diclofenac!
Diclofenac/Misoprostol Cipla 50 or 75*, 200mcg, *contains Diclofenac!
Medabon, 1xMifepristone 200mg, 4xMisoprostol 200mcg
Safety notice: There are pills that contain a combination of Misoprostol and the painkiller Diclofenac. While manufactured for a different purpose they can still be used for abortion. Please find more info in our FAQ to avoid overdosing the Diclofenac.
Cost of Abortion Pills
These are comments about the estimated cost of abortion pills in your country.
- "Mifepristone 200 mg, 3 tablets- 699 sek. Misoprostol 0,2 mg, 100 tablets- 300 sek. But, you dont buy like that- You pay appr 250kr for the doctorvisit at a clinic and then all medication needed are included." - Josephine Turner- midwife, November 2022
The actual costs of abortion pills are often difficult to determine, vary and change over time. Fill out our questionnaire to add and share your experience.
Organizations and Resources
Watch out for fake abortion clinics and sellers online. See or contribute to our list of scams & stay safe!
Join this project
This collection of data is an ongoing and collaborative project that relies on your contributions and corrections to thrive. Did you have an abortion? Did you get scammed looking for abortion pills? Do you know a friendly feminist organization which can help? Are you an abortion activist, doctor or part of an organization? Please share and fill out our questionnaire or contact us here.
Other Databases and Sources
These are the sources and databases used to gather the information listed on this country profile.
- 08.08.2022/Medical Abortion Commodities Database: https://www.medab.org/advanced-search-multiple-results?country=524&commodity=all&brand=all#multiple-search-result
- 09.08.2022/National Medicine Authority; Mifepriston: https://www.lakemedelsverket.se/sv/sok-lakemedelsfakta?substName=mifepristone&activeTab=1
- 09.08.2022/National Medicine Authority: Misoprostol: https://www.lakemedelsverket.se/sv/sok-lakemedelsfakta?status=1&substName=misoprostol&activeTab=1&medProdFormExpanded=true
- 24.08.2022/European Abortion Policies Atlas: https://europe.ippf.org/resource/european-abortion-policies-atlas
- 24.08.2022/WHO, Global Abortion Policies Database: https://abortion-policies.srhr.org/country/sweden/
- 28.12.2022/Reproductive Rights Map: https://reproductiverights.org/maps/worlds-abortion-laws/?country=SWE
- 28.12.2022/Global Map of Norms regarding Conscientious Objection: https://www.redaas.org.ar/conscientious-objection-m
If you think the information displayed on this page is not correct or is outdated, please send us your updates and corrections!
We appreciate your collaboration.