Abortion Laws and Policies
Get abortion pills | Claim your rights
Access to abortion is a fundamental human right and a basic healthcare. If you live in a country where access to abortion is restricted, you can get abortion pills through Women on Web.
Abortion on request is not authorized. It is permitted up to 22 weeks of pregnancy if pregnancy endangers the woman or person's life or health.
Penal law criminalizes women and pregnant people for having an abortion outside of the conditions specified in the law. Abortion providers and people who assists may be criminalized for an abortion outside of the conditions specified in the law.
Medical practitioners and providers have the right to refuse abortion services based on personal beliefs.However, medical practitioners and providers are obliged to refer individuals to another provider if they refuse service.
About Abortion Pills
An abortion with pills is a safe and effective way to end a pregnancy at home. There are two ways to have an abortion with pills:
- Have an abortion with a pill called Mifepristone and another pill called Misoprostol;
- Have an abortion with the pill Misoprostol only.
You already have abortion pills? Find instructions, information around dosage, safety precautions and tips here or contact the Women on Web Help Desk Team to guide you through the process at email@example.com
Mifepristone is not officially registered by the country’s pharmaceutical authority.
Misoprostol is officially registered by the country’s pharmaceutical authority.
It is registered for gynecological indications (such as birth, miscarriage treatment or abortion care etc.)
A doctor's prescription may be required to get Misoprostol.
Misoprostol is distributed in pharmacies.
These are brand names under which Mifepristone, Misoprostol or Combi Packs (that contain both abortion pills Mifepristone and Misoprostol) are officially distributed and/or commonly found in the country.
Safety notice: There are pills that contain a combination of Misoprostol and the painkiller Diclofenac. While manufactured for a different purpose they can still be used for abortion. Please find more info in our FAQ to avoid overdosing the Diclofenac.
Cost of Abortion Pills
These are comments about the estimated cost of abortion pills in your country.
- $0.82 – $1.17 USD per pill
- From 10 soles to 200 soles per tablet, according to references from our users.
- Centro Familia Sana. Rosa Castañeda Gamarra- Founder - November 2022
The actual costs of abortion pills are often difficult to determine, vary and change over time. Fill out our questionnaire to add and share your experience.
Organizations and Resources
- Women on Web
Abortion pill access by mail
- Centro Familia Sana
An organization that offers educational, clinical and research services in Sexual and Reproductive health for 30 years in Cajamarca.
Centro Familia Sana: Jr. El Milagro 153 San Martín de Porras, Cajamarca, Peru.
- Infórmate y Decide
Information, advice and access to safe abortion and contraceptive methods
Web page that provides information on legal/voluntary interruption of pregnancy (ILE / IVE) in Latin America and in the world seeking to reduce access barriers: Informative, through the chat available 12 hours a day, from Monday to Saturday (8:00 a.m. to 8:00 pm Colombia time) and Geographic with health professionals distributed throughout the country.
Watch out for fake abortion clinics and sellers online. See or contribute to our list of scams & stay safe!
Join this project
This collection of data is an ongoing and collaborative project that relies on your contributions and corrections to thrive. Did you have an abortion? Did you get scammed looking for abortion pills? Do you know a friendly feminist organization which can help? Are you an abortion activist, doctor or part of an organization? Please share and fill out our questionnaire or contact us here.
Other Databases and Sources
These are the sources and databases used to gather the information listed on this country profile.
- 02.12.2022/WHO, Global Abortion Policies Database: https://abortion-policies.srhr.org/country/peru/
- 04.08.2022/Medical Abortion Commodities Database: https://www.medab.org/advanced-search-multiple-results?country=490&commodity=all&brand=all#multiple-search-result
- 05.08.2022/safe2choose: https://safe2choose.org/abortion-information/countries/peru
- 29.08.2022/National Medicine Authority: https://www.digemid.minsa.gob.pe/
- National Medicine Authority; Mifepristone:
- National medicine authority; Misoprostol:
- 02.12.2022/Global Map of Norms regarding Conscientious Objection: https://www.redaas.org.ar/conscientious-objection-map
- 02.12.2022/Reproductive Rights Map: https://reproductiverights.org/maps/worlds-abortion-laws/?country=PER
If you think the information displayed on this page is not correct or is outdated, please send us your updates and corrections!
We appreciate your collaboration.