Legal | Abortion Pills | Local Organizations | Scam List
Abortion Laws and Policies
Law varies by country /territory. Abortion is permitted in case of fetal impairment. Gestational limits vary. It is also permitted if the pregnancy endangers the woman or person’s life. For this case, no limitation regarding the lengths of pregnancy is mentioned in the legal text.
Medical practitioners and providers have the right to refuse abortion services based on personal beliefs.
Claim your rights
Access to abortion is a fundamental human right and a basic healthcare need. If you live in a country with restrictions to abortion access, you can visit Women on Web to request abortion pills or learn more about the local support and resources available in your country.
About Abortion Pills
An abortion with pills is a safe and effective way to end a pregnancy at home. There are two ways to have an abortion with pills:
- Have an abortion with a pill called Mifepristone and another pill called Misoprostol;
- Have an abortion with the pill Misoprostol only.
You already have abortion pills? Find instructions, information around dosage, safety precautions and tips here.
Mifepristone is officially registered by the country’s pharmaceutical authority.
Mifepristone can be bought in inpatient, specialist administration only
Misoprostol is registered
It is registered for gynecological indications (such as birth, miscarriage treatment or abortion care etc.)
A doctor's prescription may be required to get Misoprostol.
Misoprostol can be bought in Pharmacy distribution
These are brand names under which Mifepristone, Misoprostol or Combi Packs (that contain both abortion pills Mifepristone and Misoprostol) are officially distributed and/or commonly found in the country.
Mifegyne 200mg Exelgyn
Mifepristone Linepharma 200 mg
Cytotec 200 mcg Pfizer Ltd
Topogyne 400 mcg
Angusta 25 mcg
Arthrotec 75 (200 mcg) **conatins Diclofenac
Misofen 50 and 75 (200 mcg) **contains Diclofenac
Medabon: 1 mifepristone 200 mg/ 4 misoprostol 200 mcg (Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd)
There are pills that contain a combination of Misoprostol and the painkiller Diclofenac. While manufactured for a different purpose they can still be used for abortion. Specific instructions need to be followed to avoid overdosing the Diclofenac.
Local Organizations and Resources
No local organizations.
Watch out for fake abortion clinics and sellers online. See or contribute to our list of scams & stay safe!
Other Databases and Sources
These are the sources and databases used to gather the information listed on this country profile.
- 08.08.2022/Medical Abortion Commodities Database: https://www.medab.org/advanced-search-multiple-results?country=542&commodity=all&brand=all#multiple-search-result
- 28.12.2022/WHO, Global Abortion Policies Database: https://abortion-policies.srhr.org/country/united-kingdom/
- 24.08.2022/European Abortion Policies Atlas: https://europe.ippf.org/resource/european-abortion-policies-atlas
- 24.08.2022/National Medicine Authority: https://products.mhra.gov.uk/
- 28.12.2022/Reproductive Rights Map: https://reproductiverights.org/maps/worlds-abortion-laws/?country=GBR
- 28.12.2022/Global Map of Norms regarding Conscientious Objection: https://www.redaas.org.ar/conscientious-objection-m
Abortion law in Northern Ireland
Since October 21,2019 abortion is legal in Northern Ireland!
Northern Ireland Clinics and organisations
Abortion is legal for up to 24 weeks of pregnancy