Legal | Abortion Pills | Local Organizations | Scam List
Abortion Laws and Policies
Abortion on request is not authorized. It is permitted up to 90 days in case of rape. It is also permitted if the pregnancy endangers the woman or person’s life. For this case, no limitation regarding the lengths of pregnancy is mentioned in the legal text.
Abortion providers and any people assisting may be criminalized for an abortion outside of the legal conditions specified in the law.
Despite abortion being permitted, abortion pills are not registered and an abortion with pills might not be available.
Claim your rights
Access to abortion is a fundamental human right and a basic healthcare need. If you live in a country with restrictions to abortion access, you can visit Women on Web to request abortion pills or learn more about the local support and resources available in your country.
About Abortion Pills
An abortion with pills is a safe and effective way to end a pregnancy at home. There are two ways to have an abortion with pills:
- Have an abortion with a pill called Mifepristone and another pill called Misoprostol;
- Have an abortion with the pill Misoprostol only.
You already have abortion pills? Find instructions, information around dosage, safety precautions and tips here.
Mifepristone is not officially registered by the country’s pharmaceutical authority.
Misoprostol is registered
There is no data available on whether Misoprostol is registered for gynecological indications (such as birth, miscarriage treatment or abortion care etc. ), or if it is registered for other purposes only (such as arthritis or gastric ulcers etc. )..
There is currently no data available on whether or not a prescription is needed to get Misoprostol.
There is no data on regulations around the distribution of Misoprostol available.
These are brand names under which Mifepristone, Misoprostol or Combi Packs (that contain both abortion pills Mifepristone and Misoprostol) are officially distributed and/or commonly found in the country.
Ace Miso; 200 mcg; Acme Formulations (Pvt) Ltd, India
There are pills that contain a combination of Misoprostol and the painkiller Diclofenac. While manufactured for a different purpose they can still be used for abortion. Specific instructions need to be followed to avoid overdosing the Diclofenac.
Local Organizations and Resources
No local organizations.
Watch out for fake abortion clinics and sellers online. See or contribute to our list of scams & stay safe!
Other Databases and Sources
These are the sources and databases used to gather the information listed on this country profile.
- 15.12.2022/WHO, Global Abortion Policies Database: https://abortion-policies.srhr.org/country/south-sudan/
- 07.11.2022/Medical Abortion Commodities Database: https://medab.org/search?field_brand_name_target_id=All&field_country_of_sale_target_id=142
- 07.11.2022/Gynuity Map: https://gynuity.org/resources/map-of-misoprostol-approvals
- 07.11.2022/National Medicine Authority: https://www.nmpb.gov.sd/en/index.php
- National Medicine Databank: -
- 15.12.2022/Reproductive Rights Map: https://reproductiverights.org/maps/worlds-abortion-laws/?country=SDN
- 15.12.2022/Map of Norms regarding Conscientious Objection: https://www.redaas.org.ar/conscientious-objection-map
Clinics and organisations South Sudan
Women's Clinics The Marie Stopes in Juba
Abortion law South Sudan
Abortion is only permitted to save the life of the woman.