Legal | Abortion Pills | Local Organizations | Scam List
Abortion Laws and Policies
Abortion is permitted on request up to 12 weeks. It is permitted up to 20 weeks of pregnancy for economic or social reasons and in cases of incest, rape or if the pregnancy endangers the woman or person’s physical or mental health. It is also permitted in case of fetal impairment or if the pregnancy endangers the woman or person’s life. For these cases no limitation regarding the lengths of pregnancy is mentioned in the legal text.
Abortion is covered by insurance for any woman who qualifies under a medical scheme as per the Medical Schemes Act.
Abortion providers and any people assisting may be criminalized for an abortion outside of the legal conditions specified in the law.
Medical practitioners and providers have the right to refuse abortion services based on personal beliefs. However, medical practitioners and providers are obligated to refer individuals to another provider if they refuse service.
Claim your rights
Access to abortion is a fundamental human right and a basic healthcare need. If you live in a country with restrictions to abortion access, you can visit Women on Web to request abortion pills or learn more about the local support and resources available in your country.
About Abortion Pills
An abortion with pills is a safe and effective way to end a pregnancy at home. There are two ways to have an abortion with pills:
- Have an abortion with a pill called Mifepristone and another pill called Misoprostol;
- Have an abortion with the pill Misoprostol only.
You already have abortion pills? Find instructions, information around dosage, safety precautions and tips here.
Mifepristone is officially registered by the country’s pharmaceutical authority.
A doctor's prescription may be required to get Mifepristone.
Mifepristone can be bought in pharmacy distribution
Misoprostol is registered
It is registered for gynecological indications (such as birth, miscarriage treatment or abortion care etc.)
A doctor's prescription may be required to get Misoprostol.
Misoprostol can be bought in pharmacy distribution
These are brand names under which Mifepristone, Misoprostol or Combi Packs (that contain both abortion pills Mifepristone and Misoprostol) are officially distributed and/or commonly found in the country.
Mifegyne; 200 mg; Exelgyn
PRESTOGYNE; 200 mg; SUN PHARMACEUTICALS SA (PTY) LTD
GENEFYM; 200 mg; MEDI-CHALLENGE (PTY) LTD
Mifeprex; 200 mg; registration status unknown
Cytotec; 200 mcg; Pfizer
ARTHROTEC 50 and 75; 200 mcg; PFIZER LABORATORIES (PTY) LTD; **contains Diclofenac
RHEUTHROTEC 50 and 75; PHARMA-Q HOLDINGS (PTY) LTD; **contains Diclofenac
MEDABON; 1 Mifepristone 200 mg, 4 Misoprostol 200 mcg; RANBAXY PHARMACEUTICALS (PTY) LTD
There are pills that contain a combination of Misoprostol and the painkiller Diclofenac. While manufactured for a different purpose they can still be used for abortion. Specific instructions need to be followed to avoid overdosing the Diclofenac.
This is the estimated cost of abortion pills in your country. Please reach out if your experience has been different from the information available here.
Cost of Abortion Pills
- They cost between ZAR1,600 – ZAR2,100
Local Organizations and Resources
No local organizations.
Watch out for fake abortion clinics and sellers online. See or contribute to our list of scams & stay safe!
Other Databases and Sources
These are the sources and databases used to gather the information listed on this country profile.
- 14.12.2022/WHO, Global Abortion Policies Database: https://abortion-policies.srhr.org/country/south-africa/
- 03.11.2022/Medical Abortion Commodities Database: https://medab.org/search?field_brand_name_target_id=All&field_country_of_sale_target_id=204
- 03.11.2022/safe2choose: https://safe2choose.org/abortion-information/countries/south-africa
- 03.11.2022/howtouseabortionpill: https://www.howtouseabortionpill.org/abortion-laws-by-country/southAfrica/
- 03.11.2022/National Medicine Authority: https://www.sahpra.org.za/
- 03.11.2022/National Medicine Databank: https://www.sahpra.org.za/registered-health-products/
- 14.12.2022/Reproductive Rights Map: https://reproductiverights.org/maps/worlds-abortion-laws/?country=ZAF
- 14.12.2022/Map of Norms regarding Conscientious Objection: https://www.redaas.org.ar/conscientious-objection-map
South Africa: Organizations and Clinics
Abortion is legal. Mifepristone is available as Mifegyne and Misoprostol are…
South Africa: Abortion law
Abortion is legal on request during the first 12 weeks of the pregnancy.