Abortion Laws and Policies
Get abortion pills | Claim your rights
Access to abortion is a fundamental human right and a basic healthcare. If you live in a country where access to abortion is restricted, you can get abortion pills through Women on Web.
Abortion is permitted on request up to 24 weeks. It is also permitted if the pregnancy endangers the woman or person’s physical or mental health or their life. For these cases no limitation regarding the lengths of pregnancy is mentioned in the legal text.
To be eligible to receive an abortion in Singapore, women must be:
1. Citizens of Singapore, or a wife of a citizen of Singapore
2. A holder, or the wife of a holder, of a work pass issued under the Employment of Foreign Manpower Act
3. A resident in Singapore for a period of at least 4 months immediately preceding the date on which such treatment is to be carried out
4.Persons in exceptional circumstances, where an abortion is necessary to save the life of the pregnant woman.
There is a mandatory waiting period of two days (at least 48 hours) from the end of first counseling session, unless termination is immediately necessary to save the life or prevent grave permanent injury to the physical or mental health of a pregnant woman in place before the abortion can be done. Unmarried girls who are below 16 years old need to obtain an attandance certificate from pre-counselling authorities to access abortion.
Penal law criminalizes women and pregnant people for having an abortion outside of the legal conditions specified in the law. Abortion providers and any people assisting may be criminalized for an abortion outside of the legal conditions specified in the law.
Medical practitioners and providers have the right to refuse abortion services based on personal beliefs. So-called conscientious objection cannot be practiced if the life of the woman or pregnant person is at risk.
About Abortion Pills
An abortion with pills is a safe and effective way to end a pregnancy at home. There are two ways to have an abortion with pills:
- Have an abortion with a pill called Mifepristone and another pill called Misoprostol;
- Have an abortion with the pill Misoprostol only.
You already have abortion pills? Find instructions, information around dosage, safety precautions and tips here or contact the Women on Web Help Desk Team to guide you through the process at email@example.com
There is currently no data available on whether or not Mifepristone is registered by the country’s pharmaceutical authority.
There is currently no data available on whether or not Misoprostol is registered by the country’s pharmaceutical authority.
These are brand names under which Mifepristone, Misoprostol or Combi Packs (that contain both abortion pills Mifepristone and Misoprostol) are officially distributed and/or commonly found in the country.
Safety notice: There are pills that contain a combination of Misoprostol and the painkiller Diclofenac. While manufactured for a different purpose they can still be used for abortion. Please find more info in our FAQ to avoid overdosing the Diclofenac.
Cost of Abortion Pills
The actual costs of abortion pills are often difficult to determine, vary and change over time. Fill out our questionnaire to add and share your experience.
Organizations and Resources
Watch out for fake abortion clinics and sellers online. See or contribute to our list of scams & stay safe!
Join this project
This collection of data is an ongoing and collaborative project that relies on your contributions and corrections to thrive. Did you have an abortion? Did you get scammed looking for abortion pills? Do you know a friendly feminist organization which can help? Are you an abortion activist, doctor or part of an organization? Please share and fill out our questionnaire or contact us here.
Other Databases and Sources
These are the sources and databases used to gather the information listed on this country profile.
- 17.12.2022/WHO, Global Abortion Policies Database: https://abortion-policies.srhr.org/country/singapore/
- 20.09.2022/howtouseabortionpill: https://www.howtouseabortionpill.org/abortion-laws-by-country/singapore/
- 20.09.2022/National Medicine Authority: https://www.hsa.gov.sg/
- National Medicine Databank: -
- 17.12.2022/Reproductive Rights Map: https://reproductiverights.org/maps/worlds-abortion-laws/?country=SGP
- 17.12.2022/ Map of Norms regarding Conscientious Objection: https://www.redaas.org.ar/conscientious-objection-map
If you think the information displayed on this page is not correct or is outdated, please send us your updates and corrections!
We appreciate your collaboration.