Updated: 2022-12-14 Legal | Abortion Pills | Local Organizations | Community Comments | Scam List
Abortion Laws and Policies
Get abortion pills | Claim your rights
Access to abortion is a fundamental human right and a basic healthcare. If you live in a country where access to abortion is restricted, you can get abortion pills through Women on Web.
Law varies by jurisdiction
Abortion is permitted if the pregnancy endangers the woman or person's life. No limitation regarding the lengths of pregnancy is mentioned in the legal text.
Medical practitioners and providers have the right to refuse abortion services based on personal beliefs. So-called conscientious objection cannot be practiced if the life of the woman or pregnant person is at risk.
About Abortion Pills
An abortion with pills is a safe and effective way to end a pregnancy at home. There are two ways to have an abortion with pills:
- Have an abortion with a pill called Mifepristone and another pill called Misoprostol;
- Have an abortion with the pill Misoprostol only.
You already have abortion pills? Find instructions, information around dosage, safety precautions and tips here or contact the Women on Web Help Desk Team to guide you through the process at firstname.lastname@example.org
Mifepristone is officially registered by the country’s pharmaceutical authority.
There is currently no data available on whether or not a prescription is needed to get Mifepristone.
There is no data on regulations around the distribution of Mifepristone available.
Misoprostol is officially registered by the country’s pharmaceutical authority.
There is no data available on whether Misoprostol is registered for gynecological indications (such as birth, miscarriage treatment or abortion care etc.), or if it is registered for other purposes only (such as arthritis or gastric ulcers etc.)..
There is currently no data available on whether or not a prescription is needed to get Misoprostol.
There is no data on regulations around the distribution of Misoprostol available.
These are brand names under which Mifepristone, Misoprostol or Combi Packs (that contain both abortion pills Mifepristone and Misoprostol) are officially distributed and/or commonly found in the country.
Vanprazol-200; 200 mcg; Cipla Ltd
Miso-Fem; 200 mcg; Naari Pharma Pvt Ltd
Cytotec; 200 mcg; Pfizer Ltd
Mifepack; 1 Mifepristone 200 mg, 4 Misoprostol 200 mcg; Naari Pharma Pvt Ltd
Mariprist; 1 Mifepristone 200 mg, 4 Misoprostol 200 mcg; Acme Formulations (Pvt) Ltd, India
Safety notice: There are pills that contain a combination of Misoprostol and the painkiller Diclofenac. While manufactured for a different purpose they can still be used for abortion. Please find more info in our FAQ to avoid overdosing the Diclofenac.
Cost of Abortion Pills
These are comments about the estimated cost of abortion pills in your country.
- The pill usually costs between USD 3.00 – USD 9.00. (safe2choose)
The actual costs of abortion pills are often difficult to determine, vary and change over time. Fill out our questionnaire to add and share your experience.
Organizations and Resources
There are no Organizations and Resources listed yet. Would you like to add some?
Watch out for fake abortion clinics and sellers online. See or contribute to our list of scams & stay safe!
Join this project
This collection of data is an ongoing and collaborative project that relies on your contributions and corrections to thrive. Did you have an abortion? Did you get scammed looking for abortion pills? Do you know a friendly feminist organization which can help? Are you an abortion activist, doctor or part of an organization? Please share and fill out our questionnaire or contact us here.
Other Databases and Sources
These are the sources and databases used to gather the information listed on this country profile.
- 14.12.2022/WHO, Global Abortion Policies Database: https://abortion-policies.srhr.org/country/nigeria/
- 31.10.2022/Medical Abortion Commodities Database: https://medab.org/search?field_brand_name_target_id=All&field_country_of_sale_target_id=152
- 31.10.2022/safe2choose: https://safe2choose.org/abortion-information/countries/nigeria
- 31.10.2022/howtouseabortionpill: https://www.howtouseabortionpill.org/abortion-laws-by-country/nigeria/
- 31.10.2022/National Medicine Authority: https://www.nafdac.gov.ng/
- National Medicine Databank: -
- 14.12.2022/Reproductive Rights Map: https://reproductiverights.org/maps/worlds-abortion-laws/?country=NGA
- 14.12.2022/Map of Norms regarding Conscientious Objection: https://www.redaas.org.ar/conscientious-objection-map
Nigeria: Organizations and Clinics
Abortion is permitted to save the life of the woman, to preserve physical…
There are no comments available yet. Would you like to make a community comment?