Abortion Laws and Policies
Get abortion pills | Claim your rights
Access to abortion is a fundamental human right and a basic healthcare. If you live in a country where access to abortion is restricted, you can get abortion pills through Women on Web.
Abortion on request is not authorized. It is permitted up to 12 weeks if the pregnancy endangers the woman or person's mental or physical health or if the pregnancy is product of sexual violence, failure of a modern contraceptive method, if the woman is infected with HIV/AIDS or if the pregnancy is not wanted by a minor who is biologically, socially or psychologically unprepared. It is permitted up to 16 weeks in case of rape or incest and up to 24 weeks in case of fetal impairment. It is also permitted if the pregnancy endangers the woman or person's life. For this case no limitation regarding the lengths of pregnancy is mentioned in the legal text.
Minors under the age of 16 are required to obtain parental or adult consent for an abortion. Penal law criminalizes women and pregnant people for doing an abortion outside of the legal conditions specified in the law. Abortion providers and any people assisting may be criminalized for an abortion outside of the legal conditions specified in the law.
Medical practitioners and providers have the right to refuse abortion services based on personal beliefs. However, medical practitioners and providers are obligated to refer individuals to another provider if they refuse service. So-called conscientious objection cannot be practiced if the life of the woman or pregnant person is at risk.
About Abortion Pills
An abortion with pills is a safe and effective way to end a pregnancy at home. There are two ways to have an abortion with pills:
- Have an abortion with a pill called Mifepristone and another pill called Misoprostol;
- Have an abortion with the pill Misoprostol only.
You already have abortion pills? Find instructions, information around dosage, safety precautions and tips here or contact the Women on Web Help Desk Team to guide you through the process at email@example.com
Mifepristone is officially registered by the country’s pharmaceutical authority.
There is currently no data available on whether or not a prescription is needed to get Mifepristone.
There is no data on regulations around the distribution of Mifepristone available.
Misoprostol is officially registered by the country’s pharmaceutical authority.
It is registered for gynecological indications (such as birth, miscarriage treatment or abortion care etc.)
A doctor's prescription may be required to get Misoprostol.
Misoprostol is distributed in pharmacies.
These are brand names under which Mifepristone, Misoprostol or Combi Packs (that contain both abortion pills Mifepristone and Misoprostol) are officially distributed and/or commonly found in the country.
Seguro, 1xMifepristone 200mg, 4xMisoprostol 200mcg
Safety notice: There are pills that contain a combination of Misoprostol and the painkiller Diclofenac. While manufactured for a different purpose they can still be used for abortion. Please find more info in our FAQ to avoid overdosing the Diclofenac.
Cost of Abortion Pills
These are comments about the estimated cost of abortion pills in your country.
- "price per pill (4 pills per pack for Miso Intimo) is 20 MZN = 0,30 USD
- Cost for one combipack should not be higher than 500 MZN (7,80 USD)"
- (DKT Mozambique, December 2022)
The actual costs of abortion pills are often difficult to determine, vary and change over time. Fill out our questionnaire to add and share your experience.
Organizations and Resources
- Women on Web
Abortion pill access by mail
- DKT Mozambique
Abortion, Family Planning, HIV Prevention. Social Enterprise.
Hotline 92929 (free number available 24/7)
Whatsapp 848100540 also free of charge for any question relating to abortion, family planning or HIV services.
- wwww.abortoseguro.co.mz (will be available starting March 2023) listing all abortion options, services, points of sales and options for the country. Also includes a 24/7 chatbot Aly that can answer any live questions, and an online e-learning course for pharmacists and healthcare providers on how to provide and counsel on safe abortion. Hosted by DKT Mozambique.
Watch out for fake abortion clinics and sellers online. See or contribute to our list of scams & stay safe!
Join this project
This collection of data is an ongoing and collaborative project that relies on your contributions and corrections to thrive. Did you have an abortion? Did you get scammed looking for abortion pills? Do you know a friendly feminist organization which can help? Are you an abortion activist, doctor or part of an organization? Please share and fill out our questionnaire or contact us here.
Other Databases and Sources
These are the sources and databases used to gather the information listed on this country profile.
- 13.12.2022/WHO, Global Abortion Policies Database: https://abortion-policies.srhr.org/country/mozambique/
- 31.10.2022/Medical Abortion Commodities Database: https://medab.org/search?field_brand_name_target_id=All&field_country_of_sale_target_id=152
- 31.10.2022/National Medicine Authority: https://www.cmam.gov.mz/sobre-nos/nossa-historia/
- 13.12.2022/Reproductive Rights Map: https://reproductiverights.org/maps/worlds-abortion-laws/?country=MOZ
- 13.12.2022/Map of Norms regarding Conscientious Objection: https://www.redaas.org.ar/conscientious-objection-map
If you think the information displayed on this page is not correct or is outdated, please send us your updates and corrections!
We appreciate your collaboration.