Legal | Abortion Pills | Local Organizations | Scam List
Abortion Laws and Policies
Abortion on request is not authorized. It is permitted up to 16 weeks in case of fetal impairment or if the pregnancy endangers the woman or person’s life.
Abortion providers and any people assisting may be criminalized for an abortion outside of the legal conditions specified in the law.
Claim your rights
Access to abortion is a fundamental human right and a basic healthcare need. If you live in a country with restrictions to abortion access, you can visit Women on Web to request abortion pills or learn more about the local support and resources available in your country.
About Abortion Pills
An abortion with pills is a safe and effective way to end a pregnancy at home. There are two ways to have an abortion with pills:
- Have an abortion with a pill called Mifepristone and another pill called Misoprostol;
- Have an abortion with the pill Misoprostol only.
You already have abortion pills? Find instructions, information around dosage, safety precautions and tips here.
Mifepristone is not officially registered by the country’s pharmaceutical authority.
Misoprostol is registered
It is registered for gynecological indications (such as birth, miscarriage treatment or abortion care etc.)
A doctor's prescription may be required to get Misoprostol.
Misoprostol can be bought in pharmacy distribution
There are pills that contain a combination of Misoprostol and the painkiller Diclofenac. While manufactured for a different purpose they can still be used for abortion. Specific instructions need to be followed to avoid overdosing the Diclofenac.
Local Organizations and Resources
No local organizations.
Watch out for fake abortion clinics and sellers online. See or contribute to our list of scams & stay safe!
Other Databases and Sources
These are the sources and databases used to gather the information listed on this country profile.
- 17.12.2022/WHO, Global Abortion Policies Database: https://abortion-policies.srhr.org/country/iran/
- 01.09.2022/National Medicine Authority: https://www.fda.gov.ir/fa
- 01.09.2022/National Medicine List: https://www.fda.gov.ir/%D9%84%DB%8C%D9%86%DA%A9-%D9%87%D8%A7%DB%8C-%D8%A7%D8%AF%D8%A7%D8%B1%D9%87-%D8%AF%D8%A7%D8%B1%D9%88/%D9%81%D9%87%D8%B1%D8%B3%D8%AA-%D8%B1%D8%B3%D9%85%DB%8C-%D8%AF%D8%A7%D8%B1%D9%88%DB%8C%DB%8C-%DA%A9%D8%B4%D9%88%D8%B1
- 17.12.2022/Reproductive Rights Map: https://reproductiverights.org/maps/worlds-abortion-laws/?country=IRN
- 17.12.2022/ Map of Norms regarding Conscientious Objection: https://www.redaas.org.ar/conscientious-objection-map
Abortion law Iran
Abortion is illegal except for cases where the life of the woman is at risk.
Iran clinics and associations
Family Planning Association of the Islamic Republic of Iran (FPAIRI )