Misoprostol in Obstetrics and Gynaecology
Misoprostol tablets are on the list of essential medicines of the World Health Organization (WHO). Misoprostol can be used by women themselves to save their lives. Misoprostol causes contractions of the womb. Misoprostol can be used to
- Induce a safe abortion
- Treat an incomplete miscarriage
- Prevent and treat heavy bleeding after giving birth
- Induce birth
- and it even works as a clitoral stimulant!
Misoprostol is inexpensive, widely available, heat-resistant and can be kept for years. Misoprostol is sold under a lot of different brand names including Cytotec, Artrotec, Isovent etc.
There are excellent medical protocols for inducing abortion with Misoprostol. Most are written for doctors.
- www.medicationabortion.org with instructions in Spanish, French and Arabic.
- www.misoprostol.org is a website with an extenisve overview of medical literature about the use of Misoprostol in the context of pregnancy.
- http://www.who.int/reproductivehealth/publications/unsafe_abortion/9241594845/en/ for frequently asked questions about medical abortion published by the WHO