Updated: 2022-12-02 Legal | Abortion Pills | Local Organizations | Community Comments | Scam List
Abortion Laws and Policies
Get abortion pills | Claim your rights
Access to abortion is a fundamental human right and a basic healthcare. If you live in a country where access to abortion is restricted, you can get abortion pills through Women on Web.
Abortion is permitted on request up to 12 weeks of pregnancy. It is permitted up to 14 weeks of pregnancy in cases of rape. It is also permitted for economic or social reasons or if the pregnancy endangers the woman or person's health, including mental or physical health or their life, or if there is fetal malformation incompatible with extrauterine life. For these cases no limitation regarding the lengths of pregnancy is mentioned in the legal text.
Guardian consent is required in cases of mentally disabled woman.
A police report is required in cases of rape.
There is a mandatory waiting period of 5 days from point of first consultation in place before the abortion can be done
Abortion is partially covered by public insurance.
Penal law criminalizes women and pregnant people for having an abortion outside of the conditions specified in the law. Abortion providers and any people assisting may be criminalized for an abortion outside of the conditions specified in the law.
Medical practitioners and providers have the right to refuse abortion services based on personal beliefs. However, medical practitioners and providers are obligated to refer individuals to another provider if they refuse service.
About Abortion Pills
An abortion with pills is a safe and effective way to end a pregnancy at home. There are two ways to have an abortion with pills:
- Have an abortion with a pill called Mifepristone and another pill called Misoprostol;
- Have an abortion with the pill Misoprostol only.
You already have abortion pills? Find instructions, information around dosage, safety precautions and tips here or contact the Women on Web Help Desk Team to guide you through the process at firstname.lastname@example.org
Mifepristone is officially registered by the country’s pharmaceutical authority.
A doctor's prescription may be required to get Mifepristone.
There is no data on regulations around the distribution of Mifepristone available.
Misoprostol is officially registered by the country’s pharmaceutical authority.
It is registered for gynecological indications (such as birth, miscarriage treatment or abortion care etc.)
A doctor's prescription may be required to get Misoprostol.
There is no data on regulations around the distribution of Misoprostol available.
These are brand names under which Mifepristone, Misoprostol or Combi Packs (that contain both abortion pills Mifepristone and Misoprostol) are officially distributed and/or commonly found in the country.
Cytec, 200 mcg (SERVIMEDIC)
Mariprist (Acme Formulations (Pvt) Ltd, India)
Safety notice: There are pills that contain a combination of Misoprostol and the painkiller Diclofenac. While manufactured for a different purpose they can still be used for abortion. Please find more info in our FAQ to avoid overdosing the Diclofenac.
Cost of Abortion Pills
These are comments about the estimated cost of abortion pills in your country.
- "The approximate cost in private health services is $200 Uruguayan pesos.
- The value of misoprostol outside the health system costs from $12,000 Uruguayan pesos and up for 8 pills. Currently that amount is not available, 28 pills are offered for $36,000 Uruguayan pesos."
- Las Lilas - December 2022
The actual costs of abortion pills are often difficult to determine, vary and change over time. Fill out our questionnaire to add and share your experience.
Organizations and Resources
- Las Lilas
Feminist network that advises and accompanies women who decide to abort
Watch out for fake abortion clinics and sellers online. See or contribute to our list of scams & stay safe!
Join this project
This collection of data is an ongoing and collaborative project that relies on your contributions and corrections to thrive. Did you have an abortion? Did you get scammed looking for abortion pills? Do you know a friendly feminist organization which can help? Are you an abortion activist, doctor or part of an organization? Please share and fill out our questionnaire or contact us here.
Other Databases and Sources
These are the sources and databases used to gather the information listed on this country profile.
- 02.12.22/WHO, Global Abortion Policies Database: https://abortion-policies.srhr.org/country/uruguay/
- 04.08.2022/Medical Abortion Commodities Database: https://www.medab.org/advanced-search-multiple-results?country=544&commodity=all&brand=all#multiple-search-result
- 31.08.2022/National Medicine Authority: https://www.gub.uy/ministerio-salud-publica/home
- 31.08.2022/National Medicine Databank: https://listadomedicamentos.msp.gub.uy/ListadoMedicamentos/servlet/com.listadomedicamentos.listadomedicamentos
- 02.12.2022/Global Map of Norms regarding Conscientious Objection: https://www.redaas.org.ar/conscientious-objection-map
- 02.12.2022/ Reproductive Rights Map: https://reproductiverights.org/maps/worlds-abortion-laws/?country=URY
Low abortion rate in Uruguay
July. 16 (UPI) - The secretary of the MSP, Leonel Briozzo, official data showed…
Uruguay: Clinics and Organisations
Mifepristone for medical abortion was registered in 2013. Misoprostol cost…
Abortion Law Uruguay
Abortion is legal on request up to 12 weeks of gestation.
Abortion is permitted…
Misoprostol is available in authorized hospitals/health services. In the current context, it is not easily accessible.
There are fake clinics and dubious Misoprostol sales. The safest thing to do is always check with escort networks."
Las Lilas - December 2022