Updated: 2022-12-17 Legal | Abortion Pills | Local Organizations | Community Comments | Scam List
Abortion Laws and Policies
Get abortion pills | Claim your rights
Access to abortion is a fundamental human right and a basic healthcare. If you live in a country where access to abortion is restricted, you can get abortion pills through Women on Web.
Abortion is permitted up to 20 weeks on request and in cases of fetal impairment, rape or if the pregnancy endangers the woman or person’s physical or mental health.
For abortions between 12 weeks and 20 weeks, an examination and alternative counseling from medical practitioners is required.
Penal law criminalizes women and pregnant people for having an abortion outside of the legal conditions specified in the law. Abortion providers and any people assisting may be criminalized for an abortion outside of the legal conditions specified in the law.
About Abortion Pills
An abortion with pills is a safe and effective way to end a pregnancy at home. There are two ways to have an abortion with pills:
- Have an abortion with a pill called Mifepristone and another pill called Misoprostol;
- Have an abortion with the pill Misoprostol only.
You already have abortion pills? Find instructions, information around dosage, safety precautions and tips here or contact the Women on Web Help Desk Team to guide you through the process at firstname.lastname@example.org
Mifepristone is officially registered by the country’s pharmaceutical authority.
There is currently no data available on whether or not a prescription is needed to get Mifepristone.
Mifepristone is distributed in healthcare facilities or hospitals.
These are brand names under which Mifepristone, Misoprostol or Combi Packs (that contain both abortion pills Mifepristone and Misoprostol) are officially distributed and/or commonly found in the country.
Medabon, 1xMifepristone 200mg, 4xMisoprostol 200mcg
Safety notice: There are pills that contain a combination of Misoprostol and the painkiller Diclofenac. While manufactured for a different purpose they can still be used for abortion. Please find more info in our FAQ to avoid overdosing the Diclofenac.
Cost of Abortion Pills
These are comments about the estimated cost of abortion pills in your country.
- Medical abortion in a hospital: between 2500 - 8000 THB for 1st trimester gestation (including other medical fee); some clinics offer telemedication locally at a lower price (around 1500 - 2500THB) - Anonymous - October 2022
The actual costs of abortion pills are often difficult to determine, vary and change over time. Fill out our questionnaire to add and share your experience.
Organizations and Resources
- Women on Web
Abortion pill access by mail
- 1663 Unplanned pregnancy & HIV Hotline (1663 สายด่วนปรึกษาเอดส์และท้องไม่พร้อม)
- Sexual reproductive health, Unplanned pregnancy in teenage, AIDS/HIV,
- providing information about sexual reproductive health, counselling and referring care-seekers to available hospital and clinics options as well as shelters and other relevant organizations.
- 1300 OSCC Hotline (One Stop Crisis Center)
- unplanned pregnancy, human trafficking, child abuse, domestic violence/violence against female children and elderly
- Providing information, giving counselling, referring to concerned organization and sectors
- Tam Tang Group (กลุ่มทำทาง)
- Advocacy on abortion rights and access to abortion.
- Feminist Activists Group that provide information, counselling via text chatting and referring care-seekers to available services. pre to post-abortion support. Run public activities, event and workshop to advocate abortion rights and access. There platform is also feminist and LGBTQ+ rights activists and advocacy community.
- Choices Network Thailand (เครือข่ายสนับสนุนทางเลือกของผู้หญิงที่ท้องไม่พร้อม)
- Unplanned pregnancy, Violence against women and children, domestic violence
- A network of organization and activists in Thailand that focusing on violence against women and children as well unplanned pregnancy and access to safe abortion. They also support fund for certain cases such as sexual violence, domestic violence, etc.
- RSA Thailand (Referral System for Safe Abortion)
- A group of medical practitioners who provide safe abortion and advocate for better access to safe abortion. Their website provide information, articles, news and updates about abortion in Thailand and global.
- Lovecare Station
- A platform where providing all information about sex education and sexual reproductive health for young people. They provide chat counselling service as well as updated database about safe and legal abortion services in Thailand.
Watch out for fake abortion clinics and sellers online. See or contribute to our list of scams & stay safe!
Join this project
This collection of data is an ongoing and collaborative project that relies on your contributions and corrections to thrive. Did you have an abortion? Did you get scammed looking for abortion pills? Do you know a friendly feminist organization which can help? Are you an abortion activist, doctor or part of an organization? Please share and fill out our questionnaire or contact us here.
Other Databases and Sources
These are the sources and databases used to gather the information listed on this country profile.
- 17.12.2022/WHO, Global Abortion Policies Database: https://abortion-policies.srhr.org/country/thailand/
- 20.09.2022/Medical Abortion Commodities Database: https://medab.org/search?field_brand_name_target_id=All&field_country_of_sale_target_id=199
- 20.09.2022/howtouseabortionpill: https://www.howtouseabortionpill.org/abortion-laws-by-country/thailand/
- National Medicine Authority: -
- National Medicine Databank: -
- 20.09.2022/Gynuity Mifepristone Country list: https://gynuity.org/assets/resources/biblio_ref_lst_mife_en.pdf
- 27.09.2022/howtouseabortionpill: https://www.howtouseabortionpill.org/abortion-laws-by-country/thailand/
- 17.12.2022/Reproductive Rights Map: https://reproductiverights.org/maps/worlds-abortion-laws/?country=THA
- 17.12.2022/ Map of Norms regarding Conscientious Objection: https://www.redaas.org.ar/conscientious-objection-map
If you think the information displayed on this page is not correct or is outdated, please send us your updates and corrections!
You can also send us your updates & corrections in French, Spanish or Arabic.
We appreciate your collaboration.
Thailand: Organizations and Clinics
Abortion is permitted in cases of rape, as an exception to preserve mental…
Thailand: Abortion Laws
Abortion is permitted in cases of rape, incest and to save the health or the…
Doctors in Thailand urge to legalize abotion pills
4-10-2013 Bangkok Post
A group of academics and doctors has urged the government…
In some local hospitals and clinics that have abortion service, the Ministry of Public Health may support/ subsidize your procedure and medical fee for up to 3000THB for getting a medical abortion. This may not applicable to very hospital and clinic.
Mifepristone is not available over the counter (in pharmacies without prescription). However, it's quite easy to find from online shops or dark market under the other name of RU486 which oftentimes does not guarantee the quality or effectiveness. Same goes for Misoprostol.
Do not buy the pills from online shops on twitter or Facebook. Oftentimes, care-seekers will not receive enough medication to complete an abortion or they may receive ones with poor quality and cannot prove the source of medication. Apart from the risk of getting unsafe abortion, the price to get enough medication from these shops can be very expensive and surpass the price of safe and legal abortion service in many hospitals.
Try contact the local hotline for unplanned pregnancy and HIV 1663 or Tam Tang Group to get more information." - Anonymous - October 2022