Abortion Laws and Policies
Get abortion pills | Claim your rights
Access to abortion is a fundamental human right and a basic healthcare. If you live in a country where access to abortion is restricted, you can get abortion pills through Women on Web.
Abortion on request is not authorized. It is permitted if the pregnancy endangers the woman or person’s life. For this case no limitation regarding the lengths of pregnancy is mentioned in the legal text.
Abortion providers and any people assisting may be criminalized for an abortion outside of the legal conditions specified in the law
About Abortion Pills
An abortion with pills is a safe and effective way to end a pregnancy at home. There are two ways to have an abortion with pills:
- Have an abortion with a pill called Mifepristone and another pill called Misoprostol;
- Have an abortion with the pill Misoprostol only.
You already have abortion pills? Find instructions, information around dosage, safety precautions and tips here or contact the Women on Web Help Desk Team to guide you through the process at firstname.lastname@example.org
Mifepristone is not officially registered by the country’s pharmaceutical authority.
Misoprostol is officially registered by the country’s pharmaceutical authority.
There is no data available on whether Misoprostol is registered for gynecological indications (such as birth, miscarriage treatment or abortion care etc.), or if it is registered for other purposes only (such as arthritis or gastric ulcers etc.)..
There is currently no data available on whether or not a prescription is needed to get Misoprostol.
There is no data on regulations around the distribution of Misoprostol available.
These are brand names under which Mifepristone, Misoprostol or Combi Packs (that contain both abortion pills Mifepristone and Misoprostol) are officially distributed and/or commonly found in the country.
Safety notice: There are pills that contain a combination of Misoprostol and the painkiller Diclofenac. While manufactured for a different purpose they can still be used for abortion. Please find more info in our FAQ to avoid overdosing the Diclofenac.
Cost of Abortion Pills
The actual costs of abortion pills are often difficult to determine, vary and change over time. Fill out our questionnaire to add and share your experience.
Organizations and Resources
- Women on Web
Abortion pill access by mail
- The national Helpline: 1938
- governmental national helpline for domestic violence under Ministry of Women, Child Affairs and Social Empowerment
- Women Help Line – 1938 faster response for the protection of women
- providing assistance and relief for the receiving complaints related to all forms of discrimination against women, defilement of the rights of women, harassment and all kinds of abusive circumstances.
- 1938 is operated every weekday from 8.30 a.m. to 5.00 p.m. and relevant measures have been taken to operationalize this for 24 hours. The assigned staff of 1938 is devoted to keeping reliable and trusted service for their clients.
- Web site www.quieroabortar.org
- National Mental Health Helpline
Which under the national Institute of Mental Health, Sri Lanka.
- Family Planning Association - Happy Life Centre
0765884881 and Alokaya Counselling Centre | 0779895252
non-governmental organization (NGO) that explores innovative and challenging processes of family Planning in Sri Lanka. It focuses on family Planning, Sexual and Reproductive Health and welfare.
- Shanthi Maargam - Hotline
Founded in 2016, Shanthi Maargam provides support for children and adolescents to improve their emotional well-being with the goal of breaking the cycle of violence in communities. . Our Art of Living youth center, located in Colombo, offers one-on-one confidential counselling services free of charge and conducts sessions with children from the surrounding community to help them cope with personal issues they may be experiencing.
- Sri Lanka Sumithrayo -
At Sri Lanka Sumithrayo, provide emotional support to those going through difficult times in their lives.
- Women In Need -
24 Hour Caller Hotline
WIN provides essential crisis intervention support services to victims of violence so that women who are crippled by their situations are made strong, independent and protected.
Apart from the support that WIN provides for its victims, WIN also creates a sense of importance for why women need to be independent and strong – through livelihood programmes and social enterprise initiatives for victims to take up some form of employment in order to support them and their families.
- Youth Advocacy Network Sri Lanka (YANSL)
YANSL is a network of youth turning the tides to achieve Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights of young people and Gender Equality in Sri Lanka.
email : email@example.com
Watch out for fake abortion clinics and sellers online. See or contribute to our list of scams & stay safe!
Join this project
This collection of data is an ongoing and collaborative project that relies on your contributions and corrections to thrive. Did you have an abortion? Did you get scammed looking for abortion pills? Do you know a friendly feminist organization which can help? Are you an abortion activist, doctor or part of an organization? Please share and fill out our questionnaire or contact us here.
Other Databases and Sources
These are the sources and databases used to gather the information listed on this country profile.
- 17.12.2022/WHO, Global Abortion Policies Database: https://abortion-policies.srhr.org/country/sri-lanka/
- 20.09.2022/National Medicine Authority: https://nmra.gov.lk/index.php?lang=en
- 20.09.2022/National Medicine Databank: https://www.nmra.gov.lk/index.php?option=com_drugs&view=drugs&Itemid=221&search=misoprostol&manufacturer=&importer=&country=&lang=en
- 17.12.2022/Reproductive Rights Map: https://reproductiverights.org/maps/worlds-abortion-laws/?country=LKA
- 17.12.2022/ Map of Norms regarding Conscientious Objection: https://www.redaas.org.ar/conscientious-objection-map
If you think the information displayed on this page is not correct or is outdated, please send us your updates and corrections!
We appreciate your collaboration.