Legal | Abortion Pills | Local Organizations | Scam List
Abortion Laws and Policies
Abortion is permitted on request up to 10 weeks. It is permitted in cases of fetal impairment, rape, incest or if the pregnancy endangers the woman or person’s health or life. For these cases no limitation regarding the lengths of pregnancy is mentioned in the legal text.
Minors under the age of 16 are required to obtain parental or adult consent for an abortion.
Abortion providers and any people assisting may be criminalized for an abortion outside of the legal conditions specified in the law.
Medical practitioners and providers have the right to refuse abortion services based on personal beliefs. However, medical practitioners and providers are obligated to refer individuals to another provider if they refuse service. So-called conscientious objection cannot be practiced if the life of the woman or pregnant person is at risk.
Claim your rights
Access to abortion is a fundamental human right and a basic healthcare need. If you live in a country with restrictions to abortion access, you can visit Women on Web to request abortion pills or learn more about the local support and resources available in your country.
About Abortion Pills
An abortion with pills is a safe and effective way to end a pregnancy at home. There are two ways to have an abortion with pills:
- Have an abortion with a pill called Mifepristone and another pill called Misoprostol;
- Have an abortion with the pill Misoprostol only.
You already have abortion pills? Find instructions, information around dosage, safety precautions and tips here.
Mifepristone is officially registered by the country’s pharmaceutical authority.
There is currently no data available on whether or not a prescription is needed to get Mifepristone.
There is no data on regulations around the distribution of Mifepristone available.
Misoprostol is not registered
These are brand names under which Mifepristone, Misoprostol or Combi Packs (that contain both abortion pills Mifepristone and Misoprostol) are officially distributed and/or commonly found in the country.
MisoOne 400 mcg (Nordic Pharma)
There are pills that contain a combination of Misoprostol and the painkiller Diclofenac. While manufactured for a different purpose they can still be used for abortion. Specific instructions need to be followed to avoid overdosing the Diclofenac.
Local Organizations and Resources
No local organizations.
Watch out for fake abortion clinics and sellers online. See or contribute to our list of scams & stay safe!
Other Databases and Sources
These are the sources and databases used to gather the information listed on this country profile.
- 08.08.2022/Medical Abortion Commodities Database: https://www.medab.org/advanced-search-multiple-results?country=510&commodity=all&brand=all#multiple-search-result
- 28,12.2022/WHO, Global Abortion Policies Database: https://abortion-policies.srhr.org/country/serbia/
- 23.08.2022/European Abortion Policies Atlas: https://europe.ippf.org/resource/european-abortion-policies-atlas
- 28.12.2022/Reproductive Rights Map: https://reproductiverights.org/maps/worlds-abortion-laws/?country=SRB
- 28.12.2022/Global Map of Norms regarding Conscientious Objection: https://www.redaas.org.ar/conscientious-objection-m
Serbian law on abortion
Find out about the legal status of abortion in Serbia here
Abortion clinics and associations in Serbia
Abortions in state health institutions are covered by health insurance.