Updated: 20-12-22 Legal | Abortion Pills | Local Organizations | Community Comments | Scam List
Abortion Laws and Policies
Get abortion pills | Claim your rights
Access to abortion is a fundamental human right and a basic healthcare. If you live in a country where access to abortion is restricted, you can get abortion pills through Women on Web.
Abortion is permitted on request up to 20 weeks of pregnancy.
Abortion is partially covered by public insurance. Non-residents are not covered under public health care.
Penal law criminalizes women and pregnant people for having an abortion outside of the legal conditions specified in the law. Women or pregnant persons are not criminalized over abortion. Abortion providers and any people assisting may be criminalized for an abortion outside of the legal conditions specified in the law.
Medical practitioners and providers have the right to refuse abortion services based on personal beliefs. However, medical practitioners and providers are obligated to refer individuals to another provider if they refuse service. So-called conscientious objection cannot be practiced if the life of the woman or pregnant person is at risk.
About Abortion Pills
An abortion with pills is a safe and effective way to end a pregnancy at home. There are two ways to have an abortion with pills:
- Have an abortion with a pill called Mifepristone and another pill called Misoprostol;
- Have an abortion with the pill Misoprostol only.
You already have abortion pills? Find instructions, information around dosage, safety precautions and tips here or contact the Women on Web Help Desk Team to guide you through the process at email@example.com
Mifepristone is officially registered by the country’s pharmaceutical authority.
A doctor's prescription may be required to get Mifepristone.
Mifepristone is distributed in healthcare facilities or hospitals.
Misoprostol is officially registered by the country’s pharmaceutical authority.
Some Misoprostol brands are registered for gynecological indications (such as birth, miscarriage treatment or abortion care etc. ), others are only registered for other purposes (such as arthritis or gastric ulcers etc.).
A doctor's prescription may be required to get Misoprostol.
There is no data on regulations around the distribution of Misoprostol available.
These are brand names under which Mifepristone, Misoprostol or Combi Packs (that contain both abortion pills Mifepristone and Misoprostol) are officially distributed and/or commonly found in the country.
Safety notice: There are pills that contain a combination of Misoprostol and the painkiller Diclofenac. While manufactured for a different purpose they can still be used for abortion. Please find more info in our FAQ to avoid overdosing the Diclofenac.
Cost of Abortion Pills
These are comments about the estimated cost of abortion pills in your country.
- Mifegyne $180 for packets of 3 x 200 mg tablets.
- Cytotec 47 cents per 200 mcg tablet
The actual costs of abortion pills are often difficult to determine, vary and change over time. Fill out our questionnaire to add and share your experience.
Organizations and Resources
- Women on Web
Abortion pill access by mail
Watch out for fake abortion clinics and sellers online. See or contribute to our list of scams & stay safe!
Join this project
This collection of data is an ongoing and collaborative project that relies on your contributions and corrections to thrive. Did you have an abortion? Did you get scammed looking for abortion pills? Do you know a friendly feminist organization which can help? Are you an abortion activist, doctor or part of an organization? Please share and fill out our questionnaire or contact us here.
Other Databases and Sources
These are the sources and databases used to gather the information listed on this country profile.
- 20.12.2022/WHO, Global Abortion Policies Database: https://abortion-policies.srhr.org/country/new-zealand/
- 12.11.2022/Medical Abortion Commodities Database: https://medab.org/search?field_brand_name_target_id=All&field_country_of_sale_target_id=190
- 12.11.2022/Gynuity Map: https://gynuity.org/assets/resources/biblio_ref_lst_mife_en.pdf
- 12.11.2022/National Medicine Authority: https://www.medsafe.govt.nz/
- 12.11.2022/National Medicine Databank:https://www.medsafe.govt.nz/profs/Datasheet/datasheet.htm
- 12.11.2022/National Medicine Authority; Mifepristone: https://abortion-policies.srhr.org/documents/countries/04-New-Zealand-Guidelines-for-Use-of-Mifepristone.pdf#page=5
- 12.11.2022/National Abortion Telehealth Service: www.decide.org.nz
- 20.12.2022/Reproductive Rights Map: https://reproductiverights.org/maps/worlds-abortion-laws/?country=NZL
- 20.12.2022/Global Map of Norms regarding Conscientious Objection:
If you think the information displayed on this page is not correct or is outdated, please send us your updates and corrections!
You can also send us your updates & corrections in French, Spanish or Arabic.
We appreciate your collaboration.
New Zealand clinics and associations
for clinics see www.DECIDE.org.nz
Abortion is legal during the first 20 weeks of the pregnancy.
Campaign and Book for abortion rights in New Zealand!
The prochoice highway, on the road for reproductive justice, will tour New…
There are no comments available yet. Would you like to make a community comment?