Legal | Abortion Pills | Local Organizations | Scam List
Abortion Laws and Policies
Abortion is permitted on request up to 12 weeks of pregnancy. Abortion is permitted for medical reasons with no limitation regarding the lengths of pregnancy.
Abortion is permitted up to 22 weeks of pregnancy for social reasons, such as: Husband's death during pregnancy; Having a child with disabilities in the family; a court order depriving or restricting parental rights; refugee or IDP status; lack of housing, living in a dormitory, private house, rent; Recognition of a woman or her husband as unemployed on the basis of established rules; Presence of a woman or her husband in places of imprisonment; Extramarital pregnancy; Dissolution of marriage during pregnancy; Pregnancy as a result of rape; Multiple childhood (5 or more children); Determination of 1-2 degree disability of the husband.
Abortion seekers are required to go through mandatory counseling prior to abortion. Abortion providers and people assisting may be criminalized for an abortion outside of the legal conditions specified in the law.
Claim your rights
Access to abortion is a fundamental human right and a basic healthcare need. If you live in a country with restrictions to abortion access, you can visit Women on Web to request abortion pills or learn more about the local support and resources available in your country.
About Abortion Pills
An abortion with pills is a safe and effective way to end a pregnancy at home. There are two ways to have an abortion with pills:
- Have an abortion with a pill called Mifepristone and another pill called Misoprostol;
- Have an abortion with the pill Misoprostol only.
You already have abortion pills? Find instructions, information around dosage, safety precautions and tips here.
Mifepristone is officially registered by the country’s pharmaceutical authority.
There is currently no data available on whether or not a prescription is needed to get Mifepristone.
Mifepristone can be bought in in hospitals or under medical supervision only
Misoprostol is registered
A doctor's prescription may be required to get Misoprostol.
Misoprostol can be bought in pharmacy
These are brand names under which Mifepristone, Misoprostol or Combi Packs (that contain both abortion pills Mifepristone and Misoprostol) are officially distributed and/or commonly found in the country.
Miropristone 200 mg (Stada Pharmaceuticals) 3 pills
Mifeston 200mg (Incepta Pharmaceuticals Ltd., Banqladeş)
Cytotec/Saytotek 200mcg Pfizer Ltd
Mirolyut 200 mcg (Obninsk Chemical-Pharmaceutical Company)
Sitomis Kit (Pfizer HCP Corporation)
There are pills that contain a combination of Misoprostol and the painkiller Diclofenac. While manufactured for a different purpose they can still be used for abortion. Specific instructions need to be followed to avoid overdosing the Diclofenac.
Local Organizations and Resources
No local organizations.
Watch out for fake abortion clinics and sellers online. See or contribute to our list of scams & stay safe!
Other Databases and Sources
These are the sources and databases used to gather the information listed on this country profile.
- 08.08.2022/Medical Abortion Commodities Database: https://www.medab.org/advanced-search-multiple-results?country=342&commodity=all&brand=all#multiple-search-result
- 09.08.2022/WHO, Global Abortion Policies Database: https://abortion-policies.srhr.org/country/azerbaijan/
- 20.08.2022/National Medicine Authority: http://www.pharma.az/medicines
- 20.08.2022/European Abortion Policies Atlas: https://europe.ippf.org/resource/european-abortion-policies-atlas
- 06.12.2022/ Gynuity list of Mifepristone Approvals: https://gynuity.org/resources/list-of-mifepristone-approvals
- 06.12.2022/REDAAS conscientious objection map: https://www.redaas.org.ar/conscientious-objection-map
- 06.12.2022/Center for Reproductive Rights. The World’s Abortion Laws: https://reproductiverights.org/maps/worlds-abortion-laws/
Azerbaijan: Organizations and Clinics
Abortion pills (mifepristone and misoprostol) are registered and available in…
Azerbaijan: Abortion Law
Abortion is legal within the first 12 weeks of pregnancy.